What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed Mini Sensor Installation

cbennet1

Well Known Member
Preparing to install Plasma III with the mini sensor. My O-360 A1A does not have drilled case bosses so I would have to drill to use that sensor. From what I can tell there are probably many engines W/O holes.

Interested in hearing from folks that have installed or considered installing the mini sensor. A search on this forum yields little. I'm reconsidering the use of the Hall effect sensor mounted to the mag pad now.

Craig

Craig, I have the Lightspeed on right side of my 320. P mag is on the left.
The Hall sensor has never given any trouble... though reports here on the forums have shown otherwise for other users.
You might consider the Hall, and then if not satisfied.... switch over later.
Good luck. Either way, you get great starts, hot spark... advance and little mag drop on single side operation.

The main reason I initially chose EFII's ignition was the ultilization of existing case bolts to hold the crank sensor without drilling anything. Only 75ish hours on a dual EFII ignition but it's been great so far.

Preparing to install Plasma III with the mini sensor. My O-360 A1A does not have drilled case bosses so I would have to drill to use that sensor. From what I can tell there are probably many engines W/O holes.

I have done mounts for the older sensors. As I recall, you have to press out one of the crankshaft flange nuts which can be done with a big C-clamp, some pieces of pipe or large sockets and judicious hammer tapping. Then centerpunch and drill for the appropriate tap size. Tap the threads using a progressive 3-tap set, use tapping fluid and back out the tap periodically to clear it. Actually a pretty simple process

Lightspeed sensor

I see you are in CA. You might want to call Ben (Owner) at Corona Cylinders as he drilled and set up mine. If you are local enough he could do it for you or perhaps can give you some guidance.

My mini sensor works great.:cool:

I have done mounts for the older sensors. As I recall, you have to press out one of the crankshaft flange nuts which can be done with a big C-clamp, some pieces of pipe or large sockets and judicious hammer tapping. Then centerpunch and drill for the appropriate tap size. Tap the threads using a progressive 3-tap set, use tapping fluid and back out the tap periodically to clear it. Actually a pretty simple process

^^^ This. I too removed the Hall Sensor module and installed a direct crank sensor, something I should have done after the first failure :D I caution the use of a hammer - I've found a robust C-clamp and use of a heat gun is enough to pop the drive lug loose.

Last edited:
Worried for nothing

My schedule has been crazy but I finally bit the bullet and drilled/tapped the mini sensor mounting bracket holes.

My flange has lightening holes so access was excellent. Used a centering drill for a pilot and then drilled and tapped the holes. Took my time, used tapping fluid and they came out great!

Back