What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Left or right mag?

cbennet1

Well Known Member
To those that installed a single EI, did you replace the left or right mag?

What was your reasoning and did it work out as planned?

My understanding is that with the EI working, you'll still start on the EI. But in the event of an EI failure, having the impulse coupled MAG would be beneficial. On the flip side, ditching the left mag reduces moving parts/complexity.

Thanks in advance,
Craig

My personal opinion is stick with two mags. :)

So with that out of the way. Why would it matter if you had a EI failure??..surely you are not about to start up and fly away on the one remaining mag?

I think it is possibly a moot point.

Personally Id keep the impulse mag. If your having EI problems, it is advantageous to be able to get the engine running for troubleshooting.

And just to show the other side:

I dumped the complexity, weight, and possibility of trashing the accessory drivetrain of the impulse mag. Couldn't wait to get that hand grenade off my engine.

If I was flying a Supercub into the Alaskan bush, I might think differently.

It really doesn't matter. Consider the benefits and pitfalls, but don't agonize over the decision.

I kept the impulse (left) mag. If the battery is really low and just able to get over compression, the EI probably won't work. Learned this lesson in the past where I replaced the left mag and had no impulse on right.

I am considering the possibility that I am away from home and need to get the engine started.

Actually, I've been wrenching planes over 30 years and have never seen a coupling come apart, have never heard about it on an airport I've worked at, and don't know anyone personally that 's had one come apart. Its just not real common now that people actually look at them occasionally.

And to piggy back on what Dan said.. A dead battery and a hand prop has gotten many a pilot by with an impulse mag.

I kept the impulse (left) mag. If the battery is really low and just able to get over compression, the EI probably won't work. Learned this lesson in the past where I replaced the left mag and had no impulse on right.

I am considering the possibility that I am away from home and need to get the engine started.

Same thing here for the same logic.

Just a comment on flat batteries and P-Mags.

I have dual P-Mags, left the master on for 1 week so the battery would turn the prop but could not get it past the compression stroke.

A friend hand propped for me, and the engine fired on the second pull through.

So from my perspective these things are great and you can still get out of trouble in most situations.

Cheers

When I ordered my engine from Aerosport Power with 1 Mag and 1 P-Mag, they installed the P-Mag on the right side, and used an inpulse coupled Mag on the left.

Jason

Back