What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 CFI in the Seattle WA area

ben barron

Well Known Member
Patron
I have completed my RV12 build with the intention of learning to fly in it. With FAA / DAR Certification I have just had Axsys Air complete my ELSA Phase 1 testing. My insurance company now tells me I need my CFI (who has over 14,000 hours) to get 1 hour of dual with a RV12 experienced CFI. The Axsys Air Phase 1 pilot is not a CFI. I am looking for a local CFI with RV12 experience to provide this 1 hour with my CFI.

Any ideas?

Ben, as Mike says, Mike Seager is your man. He is a short hop away and a VERY good cfi.

Darin

Ben - go to Mike Seager directly.

Rather than having your CFI get the training to then train you, I would strongly recommend that you get the training yourself from Mike Seager. I just completed transitional training (from a Bonanza and Cessna background) with Mike Seager for the RV-12, and I'm a CFII, and there is no way I could have been qualified to fly the RV-12, much less instruct in it, after one hour of flight. Mike Seager might have to take a few hours more with you than he would a CFI, but it would be well worth it. I assume you are already a private pilot. If you not a private pilot already, then figure your CFI will need to spend a minimum of two days with Mike Seager and maybe more to actually feel competent to teach flying in the RV-12 with an understanding of its nuances.

Last edited:
Rather than having your CFI get the training to then train you, I would strongly recommend that you get the training yourself from Mike Seager. I just completed transitional training (from a Bonanza and Cessna background) with Mike Seager for the RV-12, and I'm a CFII, and there is no way I could have been qualified to fly the RV-12, much less instruct in it, after one hour of flight. Mike Seager might have to take a few hours more with you than he would a CFI, but it would be well worth it. I assume you are already a private pilot.

+1 This makes a lot of sense.

I've been made privy to some more information outside of the forum, and understand that Ben will be a private pilot student, and that also Dave Cowen has considerable experience, including some in RVs. It sounds best if Dave could get qualified on the RV-12 with Mike Seager and then would do fine teaching Ben flight lessons.

Back