What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oxygen cylinder placement

cbennet1

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Trying to decide where to put my MD oxygen cylinder in my RV6. The "logicial" (to me) placement would be attached behind the vertical post between the seats but that would take a big chunk out of the available baggage area.

Anyone mount it horizontally on the back of the passenger seat? Seems sturdy enough and would make the valve reasonably accessible. Other approaches?

Regards,
Craig

I mounted mine.......

on the vertical post between the seats in the baggage area. I used large hose clamps that remove from brackets when I feel I don't need to carry it. Used small tank also. Really doesn't take up to much room.

Mine is also mounted at the same location as chuck but MH has a case that you can hang it on the seat where you are proposing.

Incidently, there is a service update on MH one and two place oxygen controllers. I am sending mine today for this free service.

You may find that getting to the valve and reading the level gauge may be difficult when mounted in the middle.
I found that placing the bottle behind the passenger seat, it was much easier to adjust flow and see the level. The mount also holds the passenger stick when not needed.

oxymountbehindpassseat.jpg

You may find that getting to the valve and reading the level gauge may be difficult when mounted in the middle.
I found that placing the bottle behind the passenger seat, it was much easier to adjust flow and see the level. The mount also holds the passenger stick when not needed.

Now THAT'S a good idea - think I'll shamelessly steal that one!

I put mine in the same place as Bills, but I have a D and an E cylinder. I found that the D cylinder is difficult to see the gauge when on the floor, so have a bit of a "booster seat" under it. The E cylinder is plenty tall to see the gauge from the pilot's side. And easy to reach compared to in the middle.

greg

+1 for over on the right side, like Bill and Greg said. I also find reachability to the regulator, and visibility of the gauge is better there. Greg was my inspiration, though I use a D cylinder with no "booster seat". I can see the gauge OK...Greg, you need new glasses? :p Actually an E bottle would put it up higher for viewing (and lasts longer), but the D keeps the regulator just below the seat back height, which may be better for loading "junk in the trunk". Both have minor +/-'s

I made an AL box for the bottle, covered with the same material as my side panels. Doesn't take up too much room, and I pack my road tool kit and an emergency kit in front of it, in the nook behind the pax seat.
IMG_1978.jpg

I like Bill's brackets...and the stick holder is a cool idea! Mine is mounted with two clamps through slots in a mounting bracket attached to the flap actuator rod cover, with a doubler on the other side of the cover (velcro is for the side panels):
IMG_2010.jpg

Fun project, and its been a very useful system in the plane!!

Cheers,
Bob

Here's another possibility, although I had to limit the size of the bottle to fit it here--9 cu. ft. Then I had to modify the upholstery a bit as you can see. This is behind the passenger seat.

IMG_0656.jpg

I like this location. I would have to move the ELT that currently resides there.

Here's another possibility, although I had to limit the size of the bottle to fit it here--9 cu. ft. Then I had to modify the upholstery a bit as you can see. This is behind the passenger seat.

IMG_0656.jpg

Pat,

This is similar to what I was thinking except that I was planning on mounting it more in the middle of the seat vertically and putting the valve towards the center. Does te pilot have access to the valve/regulator with this arrangement?

Craig

Craig, yes, I can reach the regulator valve and lean over the seat to see the quantity indicator, BUT I don't have the tall seats as they come from Van's, I cut mine off level with the cross member:

IMG_1381.jpg

If you have the tall seats, this may not be practical. By the way, I have found the 9 cu.ft. bottle to be plenty for me.

Much as been mentioned about being able to turn the system on (off?) and monitor the tank pressure, apparently while in flight. I also mounted mine vertically on the side with those same two points in mind.

In reality, on a typical flight I may consume 200-300 psi of O2. So as long as knowing that I have at least 500 psi at the start of the flight, then knowing the actual pressure in flight is not a factor. I also have the flow indicator that shows if I have O2 flowing.

Since the flow indicator has an ON-OFF capability, if I have any thought that I will use O2, I can turn the tank valve ON and then system OFF at the flow meter.

So unless there is a reason that I am missing, conceivably you could mount it in a "less desirable" location and not significantly impact operational use.

Back