What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Checklist for review

John,
Looked pretty good to me. One thing I would change is the oil temp at 122 prior to the run-up. POH was used to structure this and that is your best reference as you mentioned. Consider using it in paper form for awhile then if there are any additions or deletions these could be considered before lamination.

How close to flying are you?

I would move several items. You start up then usually have a considerable wait for 120 degrees. Great time to set the transponder, trim, MAP destination or first waypoint, or flight plan, altimeter, etc. At one local airport the taxiway is sloped uphill and I don't even start taxiing until I know I can use more than 2500 rpm.

And in the summer, you will likely NOT be locking the canopy down before starting up. I start, taxi, and run up with it sitting on the handle open a few inches. I think a redundant check on canopy and trim position is more needed than the fuel valve. I have never pulled that valve up even once since completion (x/c for inspection panel removal) and see no need to. Just something to mess up or develop a leak.

After engine stop I advise setting the trim for takeoff. It will be quite a way away from that position. Also, DOWNLOAD the flight log to the USB stick you should leave connected all the time. And NOT using that port sticking out the bottom of the panel base! You'll just break it. Get a 3 foot USB extender cable, plug it into the back of the Skyview, and run it into the glove box. You will need to have a memory stick in it all the time if you want to take screen snapshots during flight.

Also - LIGHTS.

Last edited:
Transponder Operation...

John,

Modify your checklist to comply with the transponder "ON" requirements of the AIM.

4-1-20. Transponder Operation

3. Civil and military transponders should be turned to the ?on" or normal altitude reporting position prior to moving on the airport surface to ensure the aircraft is visible to ATC surveillance systems. IN ALL CASES, WHILE IN CONTROLLED AIRSPACE EACH PILOT OPERATING AN AIRCRAFT EQUIPPED WITH AN OPERABLE ATC TRANSPONDER MAINTAINED IN ACCORDANCE WITH 14 CFR SECTION 91.413 MUST OPERATE THE TRANSPONDER, INCLUDING MODE C IF INSTALLED, ON THE APPROPRIATE CODE OR AS ASSIGNED BY ATC. IN CLASS G AIRSPACE, THE TRANSPONDER SHOULD BE OPERATING WHILE AIRBORNE UNLESS OTHERWISE REQUESTED BY ATC.

Thanks all for your feedback. I will definitely incorporate some of these suggestions.

1st engine start this morning - cranked right up and everything was in the green.

Finishing the PAP/Wt and Bal and hopefully DARtime in a couple of weeks.

Thoughts on the transponder - I have Skyview set to AUTO on the transponder, it is green and showing ground mode, so I guess that is just a reminder to ensure it goes to ALT mode.

Thoughts on the transponder - I have Skyview set to AUTO on the transponder, it is green and showing ground mode, so I guess that is just a reminder to ensure it goes to ALT mode.

John,

Since I have a different avionics setup I was curious and decided to take a look at your setup on Dynon's website. You are good to go with "AUTO" displayed on the ground.

b. GND: The transponder will respond to Mode S ground interrogations from surface movement radar.
c. AUTO (replaces GND, above): Available when the transponder is configured to automatically switch between ALT/GND automatically (see the SkyView System Installation Guide for details). When AUTO is selected, the transponder will automatically switch between ALT and GND modes - reflected in the transponder status in the top bar ? using a combination of GPS and air data changes.
d. ON: The transponder will respond to all interrogations, but altitude reporting is suppressed.

Pretty neat stuff!

See: NASA report "On the Typography of Flight-Deck Documentation" at:
http://ti.arc.nasa.gov/m/profile/adegani/Flight-Deck_Documentation.pdf for suggestions regarding check-list development.

On my personal check-lists, I always like to have at the end of the formal detailed check-list (or as a separate placard), a final brief re-listing of the five or six "Critical Items" for checking just before takeoff. Such items might include: Canopy - Harnesses - Fuel - Controls Free - Trim - Traffic - etc. depending upon your particular aircraft.

Updated Checklist?

I have the checklists from the POH and have read this link. I was hoping to get a copy of someone's latest versions. I plan to finalize my CFI training and have my check ride this month (in the RV I built). It would be great to have the latest from those who have gone before me.

Back