What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 with GPS 400 and SL 30

Abbygirl1

Well Known Member
Just wondering if anyone had connected a Gns 400 non waas and an SL 30 to a G5 through a toggle switch (nav/ gps)? I am wondering if it would be possible to switch between the GPS and the nav part of the SL 30.

The G5 is just looking for an ARINC data stream, it will have no idea there is a switch there changing the original source. I have a 4PDT switch to change my autopilot ARINC source from the EFIS to my GPS400. But I am not familiar with setting up a G5, not sure if it will automatically configure the CDI when switching from one device with vertical guidance to one without.

You would have to switch the setting for the serial port, I think, so that would require going into settings.

Just wondering if anyone had connected a Gns 400 non waas and an SL 30 to a G5 through a toggle switch (nav/ gps)? I am wondering if it would be possible to switch between the GPS and the nav part of the SL 30.

Hello Abbygirl1,

You could perform a dual navigator installation with a GPS 400W and a GNC 255 since the GNC 255 has an A429 interface, but unfortunately, the SL 30 does not, so you can't perform a dual navigator installation with that particular combination.

When you have a GPS navigator in the dual navigator mix, it has to be connected to the RS-232 input on the G5 unit(s), so that rules out the SL 30 in a dual navigator installation of any kind.

You can even use an Aera 660 with a GNC 255 (or a GPS 400W) in a dual navigator installation, but not the SL 30.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Back