What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Software Update 15.3.3

Seeing this makes me wonder if rebooting the ipad will help. The reason I say this is that I have had to do this when using FF with my G1000 in my Cirrus. The data comes over the FlightStream 210 and it will work fine at first and then all of the traffic will disappear. Killing FF and restarting it doesn't help...only rebooting the ipad helps. Makes me wonder. I have a short cross country scheduled for tomorrow morning and I'll experiment on the way, and report back

Reboot

Mark,
I did reboot the ipad, didn't help on this flight. I'll check what happens on the next few flights, maybe we can narrow this down. ForeFlight must be getting some type of traffic signal from Dynon that gets the Traffic Icon to appear. It does it automatically, I didn't make the selection.

Gary

Mark,
I did reboot the ipad, didn't help on this flight. I'll check what happens on the next few flights, maybe we can narrow this down. ForeFlight must be getting some type of traffic signal from Dynon that gets the Traffic Icon to appear. It does it automatically, I didn't make the selection.

Gary

That's disappointing to hear. I'll try it out anyway and see what happens.

That's great news, if a day late and a dollar short. The question I have is: when is FF going to fully interface with Skyview to provide traffic to FF?

I think a lot of the delay has come from each company blaming the other for incompatibility--at least with FF's spec publicly documented, we know who to bother to get this working!

That's great news, if a day late and a dollar short. The question I have is: when is FF going to fully interface with Skyview to provide traffic to FF?

Well, with this announcement, the onus is squarely on Dynon at this point. Dynon REALLY needs to just support GDL 90 output streams.

Fzoreflight version 10 came out yesterday With the enhanced GDL 90 support. Does anyone want to update their ForeFlight software and report back if it now works with Dynon Wi-Fi for traffic and weather? my RV is disassembled for Paint so will be down for a few more weeks.

If I read FF's announcement correctly, they are saying that they have taken the GDL-90 spec and extended it...thereby changing a "standard" format into a proprietary format. So, in order to work with Skyview, FF is saying that Dynon needs to support FF's new proprietary form of the GDL-90 in order to inter-operate with FF. Am I right? If so, basically FF is saying we'll play with others as long as we get to make up the rules.

If I read FF's announcement correctly, they are saying that they have taken the GDL-90 spec and extended it...thereby changing a "standard" format into a proprietary format. So, in order to work with Skyview, FF is saying that Dynon needs to support FF's new proprietary form of the GDL-90 in order to inter-operate with FF. Am I right? If so, basically FF is saying we'll play with others as long as we get to make up the rules.

That's not how I read it. Foreflight is interpreting standard GDL90 data, including AHRS information. The Stratux Project is fully sending proper AHRS, weather, and traffic information to Foreflight using GDL90 as an example.

However, Foreflight has enabled their product to listen for other data in the GDL90 stream. It looks like about the only thing they have "extended" or are doing thats non-standard is the ID bits. This lets a device send specific ID information that can be displayed in Foreflight, which is kind of nice.

Here's the spec as was published by Foreflight: https://www.foreflight.com/connect/spec/

Again, Foreflight has fired directly back at Dynon. Now, Dynon needs to get its act together and start sending standard GDL90 data.

That's not how I read it. Foreflight is interpreting standard GDL90 data, including AHRS information. The Stratux Project is fully sending proper AHRS, weather, and traffic information to Foreflight using GDL90 as an example.

However, Foreflight has enabled their product to listen for other data in the GDL90 stream. It looks like about the only thing they have "extended" or are doing thats non-standard is the ID bits. This lets a device send specific ID information that can be displayed in Foreflight, which is kind of nice.

Here's the spec as was published by Foreflight: https://www.foreflight.com/connect/spec/

Again, Foreflight has fired directly back at Dynon. Now, Dynon needs to get its act together and start sending standard GDL90 data.
Yes, that makes more sense...thanks for the correction.

Back