What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Georgia to Albuquerque, and back

RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I do a lot of cross country flying and these things (RV's) just never cease to amaze me.

This past week we took our 8 out to Albuquerque's Double Eagle airport for a surprise birthday party for my brother in law.
It was a totally uneventful trip and as usual the 8 performed flawlessly.
FWS (Spinks in Ft worth was a great place to stop and RON) and sip some brewski's with an old Delta buddy.

One hop from Ft Worth to ABQ. Bode Aviation at Double Eagle is a great FBO and has relatively inexpensive hangars available. I paid $35.00 a night and it was worth it as I sat over a cold one watching the thunderstorms and 40kt winds roll through.

Two stops on the way home, one in El Reno OK, just west of OKC and another at Millington TN to stretch the legs and visit with the FBO folks that we worked with in the airshows in the past, and we were home in 6:35 total for the day.

I ran all the numbers this morning and I'm still impressed with how efficient and fast these RV's are.

We flew 2292 NM's in 14.2 HOBBS hours (13.4 airborne) and burned 119 gallons of fuel. That's an impressive 8.4 gph overall and a 171KT groundspeed.
$3.20 cent gas everywhere except AEG doesn't hurt at all either.

No matter how many rivets there are to pound, everyone of them is worth it in the end.

28029670762_189d1f60ff_o.png

Yep, RVs are incredible.
I've flown from FL to ABQ several times. 40kt winds are common from west TX to ABQ. I did my first solo at double eagle.
15 years ago, I was moving my Cherokee 140 to Vegas and tractor trailer trucks were going faster than me along I40

This past week we took our 8 out to Albuquerque's Double Eagle airport for a surprise birthday party for my brother in law.

OK it explains it. I was surprised to see a lone APRS track to Double Eagle when the rest of the Team RV was elsewhere :)

Back