What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What engine is in this Rv-8?

Tunna95

I'm New Here
Recently seen a YouTube video of the Redline RV-8 air display at Oshkosh in 2018. (Link to the video below) and I am wondering what engine it has installed? Doesn?t sound like a typical lycoming engine.

https://youtu.be/aod2-gAnbDM

Thanks in advance! :)

It?s a Superior XP IO-360-B1AD3 with 10:1 pistons, turning a 3 blade Hartzell composite propeller at a higher than normal RPM. The higher RPM gives it a different sound than we are used to hearing normally, but pretty much what several airshow teams do.

A likeness of that airplane, along with a caricature of Jon, emblazoned on a memorial brick under the Brown Arch at Oshkosh will be dedicated this year at Airventure by many of his friends, in his memory.

Redline's engines are built by JB Aircraft in Sebring Florida. There are quite a few tweaks done to them to make them perform a show like that reliably. Some of them Jimmy Brod might even tell you about if you ask. They are a great engine shop and Jon was a personal friend.

:-(

I did watch the Haley-batics video again which made me smile. Never met Jon, but seeing the joy in both his and her faces is worth a watch or a re-watch. Not many folks get to share that with their kiddos.

Thank you for your responses, really appreciate that. Big respect to Jon, I?m glad to hear that they are building the memorial.

Jimmy just built my 320 for my warrior. I can?t say enough good things about him and his guys at the shop

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb

Back