What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

C/S gear removal from engine advice

dwranda

Well Known Member
My engine came with the prop governor pad for C/S. I want to remove that along with the stainless line and was wondering if it's as simple as unbolting it and putting on the cover I bought from Vans. Then I understand the seal has to be punctured up front and a forward plug installed in the shaft. Also, is there a special Lycoming, etc. part to screw in where I remove the stainless line from the front of the engine as pictured? Wasn't sure if a general hardware store steel plug would fit in that hole or if it had to be a special aircraft part. Does this seem like the right way to do
20200225-145854.jpg

20200225-145846.jpg

Last edited:
Leave it on

Another option is that you leave it on. If the prop gov. blocking plate has the machined recess in it, it will drain back oil from the line. Plug the crank for FP prop and call it good.

Here's advice from a VERY respected engine builder:
"Are you planning on leaving the prop governor drive and plumbing installed on the engine? There is a much easier way to do the conversion, that what Lycoming tells you, if you are. You can simply install a governor drive pad cover plate that has a galley machined in it to vent the oil from the nose of the crankshaft back to the crankcase through the prop plumbing and governor drive pad. No plugs to pierce or remove and reinstall this way and the conversion back to CS is easy as all that is necessary is to remove the cover plate. If you are going to remove the governor drive and plumbing then you have to remove the front crankshaft plug, pierce the rear one, and install a new front plug. The problem with that approach is that you must remove and install a new rear plug if you ever want to go CS. It is doable without taking the engine apart but it is a real PIA.
Good Luck,
Mahlon"

Last edited:
Back