What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

J-Stiffner W00009A not drilled or dimpled?

Bart

Well Known Member
At the bottom wing skin of my QB wings page 20-04 Step 6. The long J-stiffner that I have is neither drilled nor dimpled. Is this the case for everyone? The directions are not intuitive on how this J-Channel gets measured, cut, placed, drilled or dimpled but logic says it must happen. What am I missing?

They get match drilled - then dimpled (don't dimple the wing skins until those stiffeners have been drilled). The RV-10 instructions are better than the RV-14 instructions for these stiffeners. Eric at Van's sent me a page with better instructions (Use the RV-14 instructions in Section 16 for LENGTH of the stiffener but RV-10 instructions on how to fit/match drill). Here's a link to the RV-10 page with instructions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/md9plwndbyb92za/RV-10 J stiffener instructions.pdf?dl=0

Last edited:
J channel drilling question

Due to a 1/16 ? vertical misalignment on the right wing, I?m having to drill the J- channel on my -14 in place using the top and soon to be the bottom wing skin dimple as a pseudo- guide Since the jchannel isn?t pre-drilled, does this present an alignment issue with the wing dimples or should I mark the jchannel thru the top skin dimple , remove the j-channel and drill out the marks on my drill press, afterwards, deburring and dimpling, then reinstall.

To place an undrilled Jchannel on the bottom of the wing skin and clamping it in place, then match/ final drilling may compromise the dimple in the top skin. Not to mention, there isn?t anything to clamp the area where the two j channels overlap.

Yesterday, I tried both techniques and marking the test piece j channel with a sharpie and the final- drilling on my drill press seemed to be a safer course of action.

Looking at the -10 plans, I would be curious to know if their j- channel wasn?t pre-drilled or maybe there?s a better technique than using the sharpie made circle through the j- channel.

I ordered the new jchannel yesterday, so I?ve got a little time to figure out the most accurate and easiest way to do this....

I suppose another way may be to drill two holes and attach the j- channel on each end to the wing skin with clecoes then have someone apply pressure on the j-channel to hold it in place while I final drill thru the dimpled hole in the top wing skin might be an effective method.

Any thoughts/ ideas would be appreciated.

Due to a 1/16 ? vertical misalignment on the right wing, I?m having to drill the J- channel on my -14 in place using the top and soon to be the bottom wing skin dimple as a pseudo- guide Since the jchannel isn?t pre-drilled, does this present an alignment issue with the wing dimples or should I mark the jchannel thru the top skin dimple , remove the j-channel and drill out the marks on my drill press, afterwards, deburring and dimpling, then reinstall.

To place an undrilled Jchannel on the bottom of the wing skin and clamping it in place, then match/ final drilling may compromise the dimple in the top skin. Not to mention, there isn?t anything to clamp the area where the two j channels overlap.

Yesterday, I tried both techniques and marking the test piece j channel with a sharpie and the final- drilling on my drill press seemed to be a safer course of action.

Looking at the -10 plans, I would be curious to know if their j- channel wasn?t pre-drilled or maybe there?s a better technique than using the sharpie made circle through the j- channel.

I ordered the new jchannel yesterday, so I?ve got a little time to figure out the most accurate and easiest way to do this....

I suppose another way may be to drill two holes and attach the j- channel on each end to the wing skin with clecoes then have someone apply pressure on the j-channel to hold it in place while I final drill thru the dimpled hole in the top wing skin might be an effective method.

Any thoughts/ ideas would be appreciated.

The j-channels on the -10 are match drilled to the spar on the slow build. I don?t know about quick. With your situation you may be able to flatten the dimples, cut the flat off of your bad j channel and use that as a pattern for the new one.

Back