What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building my own seats

denbobp

Well Known Member
I would like to put sheepskins on my yet to be built seat cushions. How do you mock up seat cushions without any patterns. I haven't counted out buying some but have access to some labor for this. Thanks for sharing some experiences.

Perhaps you can carve insulation foam to shape and use that for a pattern. I've seen a resilient white closed-cell foam used on kayaks that would probably work, too, and be a bit softer to try out.

Dave

Foam seats

Denbobp,
I laminated 1/2" foam from ACS with a layer of glass on each side. Used the profile of my car seats to cut ribs for seat base and back rest. Very easy to customize seat height, thigh support and lumbar. Gets the weight of your tail bone !
These ribs are then covered with 1/2" foam to form the seat pan and backrest. Cover with glass after curved foam is bonded. Very light and very rigid.
Cushions are one layer green and one layer blue temperfoam for seat and one layer blue for backrest.
Sheepskin cover for cushion surfaces will be sewn to fabric skirts for Velcro attach to foam/ glass sides/ front /etc.
Send me your email for pics if interested. [email protected]

Old drawings

This is old stuff for the -6 models, but might help you get a good shape when carving the foam base...

rvseat2.gif

rvseat1.gif

Courtesy of the Wayback Machine, with credit to Ken Hitchmough and Tony Bingelis

Wanted: Homebrew RV Seat Pictures

I am resurrecting this post since I am thinking of building the seat for my RV8 or adapting a car seat for the same purpose given the high cost of custom made seats.

Has anyone tried to adapt a used car seat cushions in an RV8? I measured my Honda Accord seat and it's very close in dimension to the front seat. If you are willing to share the pictures of your homebrew seat, I can send you my email address via PM.

Thanks
Phat Vu

I've seen it done but was told MUCH adaptation had to be done to the auto cushions to get them to work. There are lots of pictures of professionally built seats you can look at to get a shape idea from. Problem is figuring out the foam combinations that give you a comfortable and safe seat combination. Good luck.

How To Attach Seat to Floor

How are the seats attached to the floor? Is using velcro good enough or do the seat cushion have a substructure that is bolted to the floor and the seat back? Can you post pictures how the seats are attached to your planes?

Thanks.

Back