What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Seat Panel

ZemsRV4

Working on a SkyView panel upgrade and wanted to make a panel with the 7? Skyview for the rear seat. But the canopy support bracket gets in the way when the canopy is closed. Has anyone seen a workaround or mod to the bracket to be less intrusive? One of the downsides to the clamshell canopy on the -4.

Thanks
Zem

Backseat driver

Working on a SkyView panel upgrade and wanted to make a panel with the 7” Skyview for the rear seat. But the canopy support bracket gets in the way when the canopy is closed. Has anyone seen a workaround or mod to the bracket to be less intrusive? One of the downsides to the clamshell canopy on the -4.

Thanks
Zem

Zem,
I'm a Jurassic RV4 builder from the "light is right" or KISS (keep it simple stupid) generation. I never intended or needed a rear seat panel as I considered rear passenger foot-wells and a good fresh air vent/ heated seat cushion more important for rear pax comfort (which they are).
I always thought anybody back there could or should just look over my shoulder like flying the J-3 Cub. That said, I had a pilot bro/fellow 4 builder ride with me a few times so I mounted an old Garmin 196 back there on the canopy bow fed through a 12V plug in adapter from Auto Zone I had installed during the build, primarily for that aforementioned heated seat cushion (which my wife loved). I set the GPS in "instrument panel" mode and voila' easy, light, removable rear panel.

And most importantly, easy....:)
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Back