What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to prep 7220 for Jetflex?

digidocs

Well Known Member
The interior panels to be painted have been cleaned, scuffed, and primed with 7220. I have to go on a trip and won't be able to apply the Jetflex to the 7220 for a few days.

Should I scuff the 7220 before applying Jetflex or should I just clean and shoot?

Thanks for the advice. I'm still cracking this painting code.

David

I just cleaned and shot water-reducible jetflex over the cured 7220. The only places I've had any adhesion problems were where I didn't scuff before applying 7220, and both the jetflex and 7220 came off revealing bare aluminum. Apparently it's not really all that self-etching. At least I learned my lesson early.

It seems jetflex sticks just fine to 7220 though.

Before painting my interior with Sherwin-Williams JetFlex (solvent based), I tested covering my NAPA 7220 primer with Sherwin Williams G60P2 Wash Primer which I sprayed before the JetFlex. I wanted to make sure I didn't have to strip any of the 7220. I found it adheres great over 7220. I did a test strip of unprepared 7220, bare aluminum and scuffed aluminum and couldn't tell any difference between them and they all held up equally well to my unscientific scratch tests. I didn't spray any JetFlex directly over the 7220, though.

IMG_2238.JPG

Really like the JetFlex. It's as hard as nails.

IMG_2324.JPG

Back