What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Break bottom edge of aft fuselage side skins?

iamtheari

Well Known Member
The instructions don?t seem to say to do this, but the aft fuselage side skins overlap the bottom center skin and typically it seems that such an arrangement would require the edge that overlaps to be broken slightly. What is the consensus on doing this?

Yes you should break the edge here. Probably a good rule is to break the edges of the skins that overlap another.

They should get and edge break. See note at top of page 10-14.
Thanks. I must have inhaled too many fumes from using the soldering iron to remove the blue film from the rivet lines of all the skins last night, as I know I had read that note before but I didn't see it when I actually got excited about clecoing the skin into place. :)

The instructions don't indicate that the lower edge of the upper aft skins need a break in them, but what is the general consensus?

Called Vans today and they said even though the instructions don't say to, putting a break along the lower edge and the short vertical edge at the front makes for a nicer overlap.
Juliette

Back