What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E-LSA Phase 1 Testing and Flight Training

Ueli N

Patron
This is a long shot, but I have to ask anyway.
I have been building 120794 for the past 3 1/2 years and had a great time doing so. N120HB is ready to get airborne but I am the weak link right now.
I am a 100+ hour Pilot that was not active for 30 Years.
I got some flight training about a year ago and realized that the talent you thought you had is not there anymore. Don't think 68 is that old but it sure makes you feel that way.
I got some training here in Bellingham KBLI where my RV-12 is based, and got my flight review in a 172. My next step was getting some transition training.
To my surprise, Mike Seager had 2 open slots available last week without much notice.
Unfortunately the weather would not quite cooperate, but I got some time to fly.
The flying part went well but I had some difficulties with the landings.
Time run out and I realized I need more practice. A 172 and an RV-12 are quite different animals. Mike Seager is booked now until August.
To get to the point, if I could find someone who could fly off the 5 hours for Phase 1 and give me some training in my plane, that would be awesome.
The insurance has some demands.
Hopefully someone comes up with a good idea.
My plane and myself are eager to get airborne.

Ueli

Congratulations!

N120HB is ready to get airborne ......

Ueli

Ueli, cant help with the training, but you deserve abig Concrats on getting the plane done:D

And, 68 in not old;).....(or else I am in big trouble.)

Not a long shot, I have been having the same problem. But my build required a 40 hr flyoff in phase one. I spent 6 months trying to get current with Jetguy, but just could not get enough hours each trip there (550 miles away). None were available down here, so I just BOUGHT another plane,
an ELSA with about 100 hrs on it. I have an instructor that can finish my transition training and a flight review as well. Not sure what to do with it then, but have had interest in part ownership with a few other pilots. I had only 24 years of rust to shake off, landings were my biggest hurdle as well. It will all eventually come back to you. I now have 17 1/2 hrs of RV12 time with 47 landings.

I have been building 120794 for the past 3 1/2 years and had a great time doing so. N120HB is ready to get airborne but I am the weak link right now.
I got some flight training about a year ago and realized that the talent you thought you had is not there anymore. Don't think 68 is that old but it sure makes you feel that way.
I got some training here in Bellingham KBLI where my RV-12 is based, and got my flight review in a 172. My next step was getting some transition training.
To my surprise, Mike Seager had 2 open slots available last week without much notice.
Unfortunately the weather would not quite cooperate, but I got some time to fly.
Time run out and I realized I need more practice. A 172 and an RV-12 are quite different animals. Mike Seager is booked now until August.
To get to the point, if I could find someone who could fly off the 5 hours for Phase 1 and give me some training in my plane, that would be awesome.

Ueli

Hi Ueli: I am in a similar situation now. What did you end up doing to get transition training?

I am based at Harvey Field S43. If you are around, I'd love to go flying with you. Right now my RV-12 (that I bought used) is sitting on the ground waiting for me to get transition training.

Ueli

I took my transition training from Mike (and he is #1); however, my landings were my weak link. Mike likes a pretty close to stall set down which ?is? important to able to do...especially if having to make an off field emergency landing. That being said...if you are landing on a typical airfield...don?t be afraid of using the full length...i.e. do a 2 step...@ 60 knots level @ 5 feet; cut power and keep nose up, and let it settle in...yes, you will float awhile. Get use to your gal; then start slowing down on final and shorten your flares.

That is what worked for me...as now I can hit the ###?s when I want to...however, I still like super smooth float landing.

Just another data point for you to consider. When I finished my -12, I hadn't flown in about 2 years but I had over 600 hours in RVs and Rockets. I took my BFR in a Piper 140 and you'd have thought I'd never learned how to fly!!! It was like flying a barn door. Nothing like the way an RV flies.

Get your BFR done and then decide if you want to go fly. The -12 is about as easy to fly as they come. Landings are a piece of cake as long as you keep the speed down. Get yourself a nice long runway. In the end, you and only you can decide when you are ready. Don't so anything that you're not comfortable with. Congratulations on getting the hard part done. You'll really enjoy the -12. It is a fantastic airplane.

Last edited:

Ueli

Suggest giving JetGuy a call and spending a few days in TX.

Last edited:
I've tried emailing Jetguy a couple of times over the past couple of months with no response, anyone have a phone number for Jetguy assuming he is still providing transition training?

Back