What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Icom A210 and IC220

DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
Does the IC 220 com /radios have the same mickey mouse ribbon cable as the IC210? If not will a 220 fit into a 210 tray? May have to consider another com depending on repair cost for existing 210. If it exceeds the $500 level I may have a 210 available for parts!!!! Job gets really tough if I have to change out tray and re wire!!!!!

Tray the same but I think 220 uses the d sub connector only, so you ok if you may be ok if you wired to D-sub connector instead of other supplied connector.

Pretty sure my A210 has the edge card connector. So,, then tray may fit but connector on A220 is sub D. How about the A200 ( older model) . Looks like it has similar size tray as 210 and edge card connector. Not sure about the pin outs.

If it exceeds the $500 level I may have a 210 available for parts!!!! Job gets really tough if I have to change out tray and re wire!!!!!
I found it easier to change out the tray and rewire with a Garmin GTR200, after $800 in costs that didn't get my 210 working again. No ribbon cables, and it nicely matches my GTX327.

I found it easier to change out the tray and rewire with a Garmin GTR200, after $800 in costs that didn't get my 210 working again. No ribbon cables, and it nicely matches my GTX327.

I really like that idea also !! Looks like that GTR has got a lot of Stereo left and right hook ups for the connector that I don t really want to use. Is there some mono pins that would do that without all the stereo additional wires?

Looks like that GTR has got a lot of Stereo left and right hook ups for the connector that I don t really want to use. Is there some mono pins that would do that without all the stereo additional wires?
The installation manual for the GTR200 tells you how to wire it for Mono headsets if you must.

That said, I would highly recommend upgrading to stereo wiring, I bet you'd find it's not as hard to retrofit as you might think. When I bought my GTR a complete wiring harness was negotiated as part of the deal (at OSH)... I removed the entire harness with my 210 and installed all new with the GTR, it didn't take very long to route everything and install it.

The stereo wiring allows you to have 3D audio, which really needs to be experienced to appreciate the value. With varying audio levels, they can make it sound like your passenger, standby frequency, and active frequency are all coming from different places around you. It sounds strange, but works very well to let you focus on specific audio inputs mentally.

Thanks for the info. I did find that A/S and others do offer several harness styles at a fairly attractive price. And that may be the best approach. Now i wait until i get the icom estimate. Thanks again.

I just swapped my 210 for a 220.

The 210 was having intermittent audio, intercom, sidetone drop out and display problems. Particularly when hot. I'm told that it transmitted OK.

While the 220 comes with a sub D connector as standard Icom sell a replacement rear bulkhead with a card edge connector that allows it to fit in the original 210 tray. It's an easy swap.

The new 220 doesn't have the fragile ribbon cable and seems to work very well.

I might send the 210 out for repair.

I also wasted time testing headsets and associated wiring when it was the radio all along!

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

I have a ICom A210 and giving trouble again it not receiving and come up Tx error .
I have taken to ICom Australia and because it was purschased from Oshkosh the want to charge $200.00 per hour + parts +tax and will not guarantee after repair I will never buy ICom again there service is terrible I am going to Garmin

Unless you would like to buy a GTX200, set it on the shelf and say to yourself that I'll replace that A210 next time it goes out. That's where I am and that A210 has worked faultlessly for two years now. the GTX200 has been bench tested and powered up a couple times, but its still waiting. By the way that A210 could be available to someone , working presently in my panel for say $800. Its a great radio while its working.

Back