What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540 E-Mag ISSUES

Status
Not open for further replies.

greghale

I have one E-Mag and one Slick Mag on my RV10. They have sent me 2 other E-mags to test. All of them including mine have the minimum set at 22 degrees BTDC. During climb my CHT's are around 400 degrees (they normally run around 375). Since I have the IO-540, the minimum should be set at 25 degrees. I have advanced the timing setup about 3 flywheel teeth which will place the minimum at 25 degrees. During climb my CHT's are back down at 375 degrees. At 5500' setting lean of peak, the CHT's go down. If I turn off the Slick mag I can hear the engine occasionally miss firing but no indication on my engine monitor. If I switch to "fixed" mode the miss firing goes away. Anyone else been having problems with the 6 cylinder E-Mag?

If you have a 149 tooth starter ring, you have adjusted your timing by over seven (7.25) degrees by "clocking" it three teeth.

....and if "I have advanced the timing setup..." means you did the timing set procedure with the case split aligned with the third tooth to the left of the TDC mark (viewed from the back), your base timing is now about 15 BTDC. Certainly would reduce CHT.

Greg,

I installed a six cylinder pMag on the RV-10 - and I don?t understand why you set the low end of the timing at 22 degrees. Perhaps you are referring to the timing at idle if you set it to the recommend 25 degrees (no advance).

I recommend going back to the instructions. Set the no advance timing at 25 degrees and the most advance timing at 34 degrees. Make sure you really installed the ?SAFE? switch properly.

Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back