What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Teak stick grip removal help.

Redbud40

Well Known Member
Any suggestions? I thought I?d practice on the co side. Of course it is just a straight tube. The pilot side will be more interesting since the removal requires detaching from controls and it is not a straight tube. It appears they may be glued on. Thought I would recycle once off, since someone might want to use. I need a trigger mic button.

I?d try heating it up gradually. Maybe put a rag wetting with extremely hot water around the grip, wire in place, then take a heat gun to add more heat to the metal stick below and the rag. Continue to apply heat for several minutes. Then try twisting it off. All else fails you might have to sacrifice the grip to cut it off.

Split off

If they have been glued on then it may be too diffficult to get them off without damaging something else. For the glue to release it will either need to be softened or overcome with physical force. Unless they are very special grips I would carefully cut a vertical slit almost to the tube and use a flat screwdriver in the slit to split the wood off.

Thanks guys. I don?t know what Chris used to glue it on but it was secure.!!! Tried the hot water, heat gun method also boiling water. Nothing doing. Good use for the Dremmel saw bit. Couple of vertical cuts and the screwdriver method came right off.

Back