What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Bottom wing skin

Blizzard

Just making sure I'm not missing something. Is it OK to do the aileron actuator section, the roll servo installation, and pitot/aoa installation prior to closing the bottom wing skin. So much easier to access with it off. Want to make sure there isn't an unforeseen problem during the riveting phase of the bottom outboard skin. Planning on using Zip Tips as well and was curious what type wire and how much to run out to the wing tips. Still waiting to hear back from Zip Tips company with that info. Wire everything thru the grommets or run PEX thru the holes where the grommets are? What do you use to secure the PEX and how do you terminate the ends of the PEX or do you? Lot of questions...sorry. Thanks

I would not use PEX as a conduit and instead use the light weight corrugated black stuff you can buy just about anywhere. Always keep weight in mind. It adds up pretty quickly and before you know it you've added unnecessary pounds. I would leave the servo out until the wing skin is on, simply because it is so EZ to install the servo through the access hole and it would probably make it more difficult to rivet with it in place. Put a pull wire or cord in your conduit for future wire runs. I used Spider Wire fishing line that is a little over triple length and the extra is bundled up and tied. You can then pull wires from either end.

Wire runs

T-5 fluorescent tube shields weight is 101grams for three four ft shields. Fits 3/4 inch holes

Fit everything, then remove for riveting (all but the wiring). If you can't reinstall after the skin is on, then you'll have problems if you need to maintain/inspect. I used SafeAir for my pitot/AOA plumbing with enough slack I can access through the mast. The mast itself, of course, is riveted with the skin.

Back