What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VPX and FlyLeds ??

pilotkms

Well Known Member
Just received the FlyLeds DIY kit to replace my Ztron wing lites. Has anyone installed these with a VPX ?? The kit comes with a strobe controller card. VPX has its own strobe feature. Wondering if the controller card is needed or not ??

Just received the FlyLeds DIY kit to replace my Ztron wing lites. Has anyone installed these with a VPX ?? The kit comes with a strobe controller card. VPX has its own strobe feature. Wondering if the controller card is needed or not ??
The VP-X has a Wig-Wag feature built-in, not a strobe feature.

If you want your FlyLed's white LED's to work as strobe lights, you will need the FlyLed's controller.

Just looking over Paul's documentation for the FlyLed's, it monitors a separate input to activate the wig-wag, but the VP-X does this internally by having both landing light outputs controlled by the VP-X. So, short answer based on a quick review of the documents, you will need a Landing light, Landing light Wig-Wag (if you want this feature), Nav and Strobe light switches.

VP-X has a wig-wag feature, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't have a strobe feature. The manual describes how to send power to a strobe power supply, but that doesn't apply to LEDs. If you have the same FlyLEDs nav/strobe kit that I installed with my VP-X, all you need to do is send 2 power feeds to the controller board (nav and strobe get separate power). You can also use the FlyLED's wig wag if you prefer it to the VP-X feature.

The VP-X has a Wig-Wag feature built-in, not a strobe feature.
If you want your FlyLed's white LED's to work as strobe lights, you will need the FlyLed's controller.

... So, short answer based on a quick review of the documents, you will need a Landing light, Landing light Wig-Wag (if you want this feature), Nav and Strobe light switches.

Correct, and Almost!
The Flyleds controller board can be considered as being just like a strobe power supply, an essential part of the kit.

You would need a Position (nav), Strobe and a Landing Light switch on the panel. The VP-X will take care of automatically wigwagging the landing lights for you above 100 knots, for example.

"The Original" Flyleds kit (which is what Keith has) can also wigwag the strobe LEDs for better recognition lights for daytime VFR flyers with simpler systems on board. In Keith's case you'd ignore this function.

For the Flyleds "The Works" kit with landing lights, we also have a wigwag function, but if you had a VP-X or other airspeed-aware controller on board we encourage you to use it instead. One less panel switch and one less thing to think about in flight.

I want to make sure my concept is valid:

My RV-10 with have one FlyLEDs Seven Stars unit in each wing. There will be a VP-X controlling wig-wag.

To conserve panel space, I'd like a single three position switch: OFF/TAXI/LANDING.

OFF is self explanatory.

In TAXI, I'd like only the center lamp in each Seven Stars units illuminated (one lamp illuminated in each wing).

In LANDING, all seven lights in each Seven Stars unit will illuminate and the VP-X will automatically control wig-wag based on speed.

Will this work or is there something I'm overlooking?

That’ll work- I’d use a DPDT switch (S700-2-10 from B&C).
Off - Taxi Lt- Land Lt. 1 ‘pole’ for LHS & other ‘pole’ for RHS.;)

Will this work or is there something I'm overlooking?

Hi Brad

This will work pretty much as expected, the only minor point to note is that with a progressive switch the Taxi circuit is active in both middle and upper switch positions, so when the lights are in Landing/wigwag mode from the VP-X the centre taxi lights will remain illuminated. Viewed from a distance the lights will still appear to change from "I can see you" to "holy ****"!

VP-X 1.JPG

In this diagram the VP-X is controlling the landing lights via two outputs Y and Z, as shown by the blue lines. The circles/lights marked L are the landing lights, so that's the "All" power input on the Seven Stars, and the lights marked T are the taxi lights or "Taxi" power input on the lights.

The Taxi circuit is also shown using another input and output combination (orange lines) but if you were running short of ins/outs on the VP-X there's no reason why the Taxi lights couldn't be wired "conventionally" using the same switch and a 5 amp fuse, bypassing the VP-X.

Hi Brad

This will work pretty much as expected, the only minor point to note is that with a progressive switch the Taxi circuit is active in both middle and upper switch positions, so when the lights are in Landing/wigwag mode from the VP-X the centre taxi lights will remain illuminated. Viewed from a distance the lights will still appear to change from "I can see you" to "holy ****"!

View attachment 50122

In this diagram the VP-X is controlling the landing lights via two outputs Y and Z, as shown by the blue lines. The circles/lights marked L are the landing lights, so that's the "All" power input on the Seven Stars, and the lights marked T are the taxi lights or "Taxi" power input on the lights.

The Taxi circuit is also shown using another input and output combination (orange lines) but if you were running short of ins/outs on the VP-X there's no reason why the Taxi lights couldn't be wired "conventionally" using the same switch and a 5 amp fuse, bypassing the VP-X.

Thanks, Paul.

To be clear, in the proposed configuration, when the VP-X commands wig-wag, the center lamp (the Taxi lamp) in each Seven Stars unit will illuminate steady?

In other words, the center lamp will not wig-wag along with the 6 other lamps in each fixture?

That's correct, due to the fact that you're still applying power to the Taxi light inputs via the three position switch.
If you used a separate on/off switch here you could turn it off, and then the centre LED would join in with the other six being controlled by the VP-X.

That's correct, due to the fact that you're still applying power to the Taxi light inputs via the three position switch.
If you used a separate on/off switch here you could turn it off, and then the centre LED would join in with the other six being controlled by the VP-X.
Perfect explanation.

Thanks, Paul!

Back