What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rusty steps

Hey guys, I'm getting to close to installing my steps (WD-1233-L and WD-1233-R) and I noticed that they've gotten rather rusty! Bear in mind I bought the fuse kit nearly two years ago, before the disruption of having my building partner pass away. And I live in a salt air environment.

Do I need to replace them? They are $475 for the pair! Thinking instead of having them sandblasted and powdercoated.

I think I'd be more concerned about salt air environment affecting aluminum and structural components.

You can always use a step-stool to get in/out of airplane... but structural

I prime all the aluminum parts and keep "components" wrapped until ready for installation. And yes, you're right, the steps are not structural in the sense that if they break, the plane breaks.

Hey guys, I'm getting to close to installing my steps (WD-1233-L and WD-1233-R) and I noticed that they've gotten rather rusty! Bear in mind I bought the fuse kit nearly two years ago, before the disruption of having my building partner pass away. And I live in a salt air environment.

Do I need to replace them? They are $475 for the pair! Thinking instead of having them sandblasted and powdercoated.

Light surface rust of uncoated 4130 steel would be normal. As long as there is no pitting, it should be fine to blast them clean and powderer coat or paint.

I’ve used a liquid product called “EVAPO-RUST Super-Safe Rust Remover” to clean rust off of rusty tools and other items. You just let the parts soak in this stuff for a while and then just wash it off. Works great! If the rust is severe, it may take a 2nd soaking.

Back