What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 6/6A project!

one more task?

Today was the big day, with a nice calm morning after a few windy days.
And the required (and long awaited) grin after -

No big deal, I just stayed on the Multicom frequency, the first issue I think is an internal preset setting needed for the mic. gain, and the second is fixed with a small allen key.

And task #3 - it's time ... to update the signature. This one's no longer for you.
Gil Alexander
EAA Technical Counselor, Airframe Mechanic
RV-6A VSB (Very Slow Build, but almost there!)
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ

Finally There?
Slowly built and Well Done?
Deliberately Accomplished to the end?
It's never really done? But flying it now!

It's named...

And task #3 - it's time ... to update the signature. This one's no longer for you.
Gil Alexander
EAA Technical Counselor, Airframe Mechanic
RV-6A VSB (Very Slow Build, but almost there!)
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ

Finally There?
Slowly built and Well Done?
Deliberately Accomplished to the end?
It's never really done? But flying it now!

Thanks Gary, forgot about that bit. :)

The previous pics didn't show the appropriate name I gave to s/n 20701. Taken just before rolling out for the first flight -

name_zps3alxricq.jpg

And the logo on the vertical (it's red on the other side) -

fin_zpsvedq34fp.jpg

Thank you all for the nice comments.

looks well built. nice job! looking at that alum fairing at the canopy. over the top in fine craftsmanship.

Good job, Gil! You helped me build my plane better than I could have done without your contributions to the community. Your successful first flight is well deserved!

X2 in Tucson that week

That's two very happy builders signed off in the same week in Tucson. Another 6A in phase one out of RYN.
Way to go builders. My hat is off to every one of you.

Cathy

All right Gil! Another RV-6 takes to the air, what an accomplishment for you! My Van's hat is off for a nice looking build. Maybe one day our "sixes" can get together, they will have a lot to talk about.

Slouis, looking great and hope you're making good progress?
Unfortunately those Rotec don't seem too dependable, sincerely hope yours will be.

I haven't posted here in quite a while. I'm finally at the airport working on final assembly. If you look closely, you may notice I started this thread. Yeah, it has been a slow build.

20190302-232928.jpg

A quick update. Final assembly is pretty much done (less wheel pants/leg fairings). Next up, I need to weigh the aircraft. I have received my registration and am working with Mel to arrange my AW inspection in the coming weeks.

nl7lgj.jpg

Completed phase 1 yesterday. I have the nose wheel fairings off right now for paint, but otherwise the plane is ready to explore. Currently will do 170kTAS at 8000ft DA wide open. I'm hoping to gain a few knots with the nose fairing.

20191007-184606.jpg

20191007-184623.jpg

Another RV6 project

Hi

I have recently taken over an RV6 part-completed project. Imported to the UK from the US, its an early kit from 1989, and comes with a fixed pitch 180 HO Lycoming.

Now started on fixing some build issues and moving on ASAP, the current Covid-19 lockdown is giving me time to work on the project.

Here is a picture of the airframe as it was towed to my hanger, you can see I've squeezed it in besides my Aeronca Chief, you can see the tips of the wing and tailplane in the pic, and the fluorescent lights are mounted on old HS frames from the Chief, they were too rusted to use but make great light holders. The wings are built as is the rudder and tailplane but there are issues with the build of of the stabilisers, so some rebuild will be required.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rziNfDosoVQ2PRkd7

Ready for Firste Flight

Now, after 9 years of building, my -6 is nearby finished. Only some tests are neccessary.
AF1QipOfNopz1y8Fz3JDTgZdJf6YXc5-ki3AGVUc_aGQ

After the long time of waiting, some birds nested...
AF1QipNilqW1rx8puCwiANkher4xCtgSleejBnW3XN8z

Citation of Steve Milton:
Simplicity is the art in design.

Proof given with yours Karsten, beautiful!
And looking forward seeing it in flesh, mmh, meant aluminum, at one of the next fly-ins :)

after 20 years #24483 flew today

After 20 years of off and on again building #24483 RV6A flew today for the first time.

It is powered by a Honda Civic 1.8L engine with a T3/T/4 turbo.

It flew great. For those that do not know I have a active thread in the "Alternative Engines" section of VAF.

Here is a video of the flight.

https://youtu.be/gOC8upPFNpU

Attachments

• first flight preflight pic600px.jpg
    first flight preflight pic600px.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 485
  • first flight flyby1600px.jpg
    first flight flyby1600px.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Excellent. Way to stick with it. Good to see some new 6s getting completed.
Now a new chapter starts with flying.

Tires?

Well done Charlie, the older kits are a lot of work, plus the extra effort for the engine. I'm still a way behind you with my kit!

What wheels and tires do you have on the mains, as they look bigger than standard in the photo?

Paul.

Back