What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Power Pirep (Hartzell Engine...)

Jesse

Well Known Member
I just had and experience that I thought was necessary to share. I hope it was an isolated case, but I couldn't shrug it off as no big deal.

I had a vacuum pad driven backup alternator installed on an IO-540 in a -10. It wasn't working. In the troubleshooting process I noticed that the alternator wasn't turning when I turned the prop. Naturally, I called Plane Power, which is now Hartzell Engine a technologies or something like that. The tech guy I got was not very friendly, but said there is a sheer pin that can break, causing the alternator not to spin. Naturally, I told him that the alternator was perhaps a year or two old, but had never been run until a week ago. He said that the Plane Power warranty was 2 years from date of purchase, no matter how much it is used or when it is out in service. Now, here's the kicker. I asked him how much they would charge to fix it. He told me, "We don't usually fix them. You should probably go to Aircradt Spruce, or wherever you buy your parts, and buy a new one." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!! We don't service our products, just buy a new one?! What a crock.

It turned out the engine had the wrong vacuum pump drive adapter, so the alternator wasn't bad, but what kind of pathetic customer service is that? If Dynon told customers with a bad screen, "We don't usually fix them, just buy a new one," people would drop them faster than Avgas evaporates from a hot Florida ramp.

Jesse,
That's unbelievable! They won't be in business long with that type of customer service. I spoke with them on one occasion a few years back and they were extremely helpful

Jesse,
That's unbelievable! They won't be in business long with that type of customer service. I spoke with them on one occasion a few years back and they were extremely helpful

That's part of my point. They were bought by HET, and it seems so far that service has gone down the tubes.

Well - - B&C should be getting additional business.

Actually, every other Hartzell company I have called/emailed has responded very quickly, weekends included. And in a positive way too. Maybe this was his last day.

Last edited:
Ok, so at least they are listening. I have received at least 3 calls from John Popel at HET and not only did he apologize, but he talked to those in charge and either confirmed or changed the policy that allowed this to happen. Only time will tell, but it looks like this may be an isolated incident.

Just a contrary experience...

I recently found the wires from my Plane Power alternator had broken at the plug. Clearly the result of my not leaving enough slack to account for engine shake.

Called Plane Power (Hartzell) and spoke with Tommy. No questions asked, he sent me a new wire harness and plug, with UPS shipping included, at no charge.

Hopefully my experience was more typical than Jesse's.

Back