What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 experience

jask

Well Known Member
I would like to find someone close to southern Calif who would be willing to share a flying experience in a 7 for my wife. I currently have a QB 7 project that I acquired and am getting a lot of pressure to convert it to a 7A..

My wife and I decided to visit the Vans factory last week and she got a 30 minute ride in their 7A. She loved it and found out that our 7 could be converted to a 7A. The one at Vans has in fact been converted from the tailwheel version. At this point, I just have to get the other parts so it just costs more but I really hesitate to make the switch. She is a high time retired airline pilot with a lot of light airplane experience and has a very old tailwheel endorsement in a 140. Her last flight years ago in the 140 was in a significant crosswind and not a pleasant experience.
I would like to see if she still has all the evil tailwheel thoughts after actually experiencing a 7.

Just build the 7 and get her some quality tailwheel training. Half the fun for me is landing and taking off. I would get her some time with an instructor in a tailwheel 6 or 7 just to show her its not that difficult. Just my opinion as I learned in a J3 cub and then bought a Husky and now added a 7 and love it. I spend more time in the RV than my Husky.

7 experience

It is making me feel selfish to continue the 7 build with her feeling this way. She came off the ride at Vans really enthusiastic from having a lot of fun and pleading to change it to a 7A. He did a lot of maneuvering with the plane and wrapped it up a few times with significant g's. She really liked how agile and responsive it was. She just doesn't want to deal with the tail wheel. She also doesn't want to take the time off to go back to Oregon for the transition training. Right now, my plan would be to finish the build and convert it later if she absolutely doesn't like it but that doesn't help me for the next 12 months or so. Vans will take the 7 parts back right now but I will have to buy all new conversions items later.

RV-7A

Jim,

I think you know the answer to this riddle. "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". Yes tail wheel flying is challenging and fun but if your wife is uncomfortable and wants a nose wheel then get her a nose wheel. You still get to fly an RV and your wife wants to enthusiastically go with you- what's not to like?

Who cares what everyone else says about having a training wheel up front? Yeah a tail wheel is cool but you're not single so a happy marriage is a happy life! Once you're airborne it still flies like an RV right?

It is making me feel selfish to continue the 7 build with her feeling this way.

As it should!

Is it really that important to have a tail wheel? If so why?

Is this a one way street? Can the nose wheel be converted to a tail wheel later?

I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of men on this forum that would convert their plane to a nose wheel in a heartbeat, if it would make their wives enthusiastically support their project and happy to fly their plane.

Just food for thought.

Jim

A model

As it should!

Is it really that important to have a tail wheel? If so why?

Is this a one way street? Can the nose wheel be converted to a tail wheel later?

I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of men on this forum that would convert their plane to a nose wheel in a heartbeat, if it would make their wives enthusiastically support their project and happy to fly their plane.

Just food for thought.

Jim

I didn't convert. Sweetie said build any model you want as long as the wheel is in front. Happy wife. Happy Pilot

The -7A is super easy to land and your insurance premium will likely be a little less expensive.

This seems like a no brainer to me. Why alienate the wife for a limited benefit. I have a 6A and have never felt like I am missing something by not having a tail dragger. Sure, there is a cool factor and the challenge of mastering it, but on the flip side, there is comfort for both of you in handling tougher wind conditions, increasing the utility of the plane.

It just doesn't seem like the benefits outweigh the cons in this case. As you know, people are hesitant to change their feelings and your wife is not likely to overcome her discomfort even if she does adapt to it. You don't want her to become one of those people that will only fly when the winds are under 10 knots. Also, guess who gets blamed if she does ground loop it.

Larry

Last edited:
Maybe show her the video of the -7A collapsing its nosewheel and going on its back in the UK.

Really, the RV is one of the easier tailwheel airplanes to fly... It's much easier than the 140 to handle, IMO.

Buy her some RV tailwheel time with Mr. Mike Seager (Vernonia, Oregon)
if she still wants a -7A, well that?s the way it is...

Buy her some RV tailwheel time with Mr. Mike Seager (Vernonia, Oregon)
if she still wants a -7A, well that?s the way it is...

I totally agree! She should at least give it a chance! RV 7 is the easiest tailwheel I've ever landed!

When I built my RV-9 I got a lot of pressure from both Van's and my EAA chapter to build a -9A.

Never once did I ever consider building it with a nosewheel and now with over 800 hours on it, I am happy I never caved into the pressure.

It takes about 10 hours to learn to solo a tricycle gear airplane and about 10 hours to learn to solo a taildragger. If she is already a pilot, who can't use another 10 hours of fun and challenging trainging?

Just show here a few pictures of RV-7A's. That might change her mind.

1.jpg

Last edited:
When I built my RV-9 I got a lot of pressure from both Van's and my EAA chapter to build a -9A.

Never once did I ever consider building it with a nosewheel and now with over 800 hours on it, I am happy I never caved into the pressure.

It takes about 10 hours to learn to solo a tricycle gear airplane and about 10 hours to learn to solo a taildragger. If she is already a pilot, who can't use another 10 hours of fun and challenging trainging?

Just show here a few pictures of RV-7A's. That might change her mind.

I love taildraggers and think a -9 is really cool but this might be a little provocative. My guess is they can all end up on their backs given the right circumstances.

In Alaska back in the day, taildraggers were the move common aircraft to see taking a nap :D

After reading all the comments in this thread I have come to the conclusion that my wife must be a wonderful anomaly. We have owned numerous airplanes over the last 41 years, more than you can count on your fingers and toes, none of which have been a taildragger. But when I started looking to buy an RV Lo and behold she said get a taildragger this time. Happy wife, happy life. I pick up our new to us RV9 this coming weekend. RV grin here we come.

You will enjoy the -9! It is probably the easiest taildragger I have ever flown, easier than a -7.

PM me your phone number and I'll call with my tips for new -9 pilots. Fairly basic stuff, such as speeds.

You might point out that the weakest part on an RV (my opinion) is the nose gear. That?s why Antisplat had made a bunch of money selling their nose gear brace setup.

I?ve also personally experienced the impact of taxing into a hidden hole in the grass in my 7A when I left the taxiway for parking. Fortunately my prop did not strike the ground but my nose wheel skirt did shatter into multiple parts when I fell into the hole and tried to power out. The cost of a new nose wheel skirt and painting it exceeded $500. A tail dragger would have survived this experience without a problem.

Don?t get me wrong, I love my 7A. It?s just that I do see an advantage with the 7 over the 7A on grass. After now falling into a hidden hole on grass I now have a personal minimum of ?No Grass Runways? and the only time I will taxi on grass will be at Oshkosh. If I ever fall into another hole my immediate response will be to shut down and pull the plane to where it needs to be.

You might discuss this with her and if you don?t plan to do grass then go with her wishes.

Back