- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2015, 09:31 PM

Default RV-8 #80414: A new "old" 8 taking shape in Canada

Hello All on the VAF Forums !

Welcome to Martin's Aircraft Factory....

I am a new member to VAF, and the proud owner of an new but "old" RV-8 aircraft project. A little more on that later....

First, let me quickly introduce myself...

Ever since I was a kid, airplanes always came in boxes as a kit I had to assemble them. It first started with plastic models, then as a teenagers, moved on to radio-controlled models. Then I went to College and learnt how to build real airplanes. Later, I went to University to learn how to design them. All along, I was dreaming someday I would build and design myself my own sport aircraft. In the process, I got all my pilot ratings almost to airline. I started my career at Bombardier as a Manufacturing Engineer working on the assembly line for Regional and Business Jets, and got a whole lot of experience from that. But then, for whatever the reason, I became an aerospace sales & marketing person, and the dream was put on hold....until....

Well...until 2012 when I went to Oshkosh for the first time and got to see RV-7 and RV-8 up close for the first time. I ditched the design part of my dream, I had found the perfect sport airplane for me . As soon as I returned home, I ordered preview plan set, and the dream was on again...

Just to make sure I was on the right path, before committing any $$ to such an endeavour, I wanted to try a RV-8. You know, you've got to try before you buy...I found Kevin Horton on the net, contacted him on a Friday evening, next morning drove 3 hours from Montreal, Quebec to Smiths Fall, Ontario and got my first back seat ride on a RV-8. I was hooked instantaneously !

Upon my return to Montreal, I had an e-mail from a guy named Dale Lamport. Dale had heard about my RV-8 adventure that day. By coincidence, Dale had an old RV-8 empennage kit collecting dust, and contacted me to make me an offer for a "quick built" empennage kit....

This is how my RV-8 adventure started....Now, you will join me for the adventure of building RV-8 s/n 80414, an new "old" RV that has a second chance to become a real flying airplane, not just empennage aluminum junk

As they say, as you grow old, your toys become bigger, or in my case my kits, well as we speak, there is a large kit making its way from Portland, Oregon to Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Right now, 80414 fuselage is on a truck somewhere between Toronto and Montreal. It shall be on dock in Montreal tomorrow. Then, the building adventures begins this week-end...

More on that later....

Martin
RV-8 s/n #80414
Kitlog: http://www.mykitlog.com/MartRV80414/
Empennage: 95% (ready for inspection)
Fuselage: 90% (Canoe 2.0 in progress- Final Riveting)
Wings: Slow Build Wing Kit on the way from Van's - Delivery End Nov 17.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:58 AM

Default kit delivery

Martin
Glad to see that you have been able to go ahead with your project. Enjoy the process, do it right, keep it simple.
I don't recall if you have been to the big show in Oshkosh, but be sure to go. You will come home from that with a desire to do the best you possibly can. All Rv's start out the same, in a box. How beautiful it ends is up to the builder.
If you have questions, please ask. Communication is cheap.

Dale
Old 07-22-2015, 06:17 AM

Welcome to VAF !

Mike will be along shortly.

I too, got an older kit. A 7, and as a first time builder, needed a lot of help. I am still not finished, but getting closer. Keeping it simple is a good philosophy - it will get you flying quicker. Look ahead, keep focused on the near term tasks.

Looking forward to tracking your progress.

Oh - one more thing - don't try any new process on your flying parts, experiment first, all the way to the end. Don't just "assume" a miracle will happen. If you can not see it , do it first on a learning part.

RV-7
Op Lims in hand 12-7-17
1st Flight 1-27-18
33/40 hrs
Aerobatics DONE!!
2017 Dues Paid

Last edited by BillL : 07-22-2015 at 06:20 AM. Reason: one more thing.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgessbuilderMO13 View Post
Martin
Glad to see that you have been able to go ahead with your project. Enjoy the process, do it right, keep it simple.
I don't recall if you have been to the big show in Oshkosh, but be sure to go. You will come home from that with a desire to do the best you possibly can. All Rv's start out the same, in a box. How beautiful it ends is up to the builder.
If you have questions, please ask. Communication is cheap.

Dale
Hello Dale,
Nice to see that you are here on VAF. Yes, for sure I will communicate with you if I have any questions. So far, so good. I am having fun with my fuselage kit....
Martin
RV-8 s/n #80414
Old 09-22-2015, 09:22 PM

Smile

Hello All !

Well, my fuselage kit was delivered on Thursday July 30 early in the morning. Just like a kid at Christmas, I had to crack open the box to see what was in there, but the reality of adulthood meant that I had to go to work and wait until Saturday to finally play with my RV-8 fuselage kit. I did the inventory with my Dad, found a few missing parts, which were ordered from Van's and received just a few days later.

The reality of this project is that if I had waited to for all the Stars in the sky to align to start building this RV, I would never have started. As most people, the trio Money/Time/Location is often an obstacle to either launch or get the project going. For me at this time, it is a suitable location. Currently, I am working on my RV project in a 12' X 12' unheated garden shed in the backyard. With Canadian winter now slowly starting to show sign of upcoming arrival, I am in a bit of an hurry to do as much as I can before the project stops for winter, unless I find a suitable location for the cold winter days.

In the meantime, since I cannot assembly any parts in the shed, I have launched "OPERATION EDGE DEBURR". Understanding that this may be the most boring part of the whole project, I decided to edge deburr all my parts right now, while the motivation is high....Then I will get my parts primed at a paint shop during winter and start assembly next Spring...Sounds like a good plan to me !

So far so good, I am having fun with the project

More on that soon !

Martin
RV-8 s/n #80414
Old 09-23-2015, 04:29 AM

Hello Martin,

thanks for your post, make sure to post from time to time a picture...

flying RV-9a, O-320, G3X Touch
a father&son project
Old 09-23-2015, 07:28 AM

It's good to see another Canadian builder taking up his tools.

If you can, find a heated workshop. I've been slow-building for a few years now in an unheated hangar that's more like a farm equipment shed - snow blows in under the doors and eaves and heaters do little to take the edge of winter's icy blast. I'm getting frustrated by having to always work around the weather, so much so that I've put a bunch of work on hold so I could get epoxy primer on the fuselage before the temperature started to drop. Working in a heated shop relieves one of the need to plan around temperature, and greatly improves the number of hours available to actually work on the airplane. Don't ask me how many hours I've had to spend chopping my way through the ice to get to my project!

Here's wishing you steady progress and a very small pile of scrap parts when you're done!
Old 09-23-2015, 08:16 AM

Welcome. I'm in St Rose Laval and my RV4 project is in Lachute. Drop me a line if you every need help, tools, advice etc.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:32 AM

Thumbs up Québec RV !

Salut Martin, intéressant de voir un autre RV en construction au Québec !
Ici en Abitibi, nous avons un RV-6 et un RV-8 en vol, mon RV-7A qui est presque terminé et un RV-14 en fabrication ! Si tu as des questions, ne te gêne pas à me contacté en privé ou par téléphone ! Contacte moi par e-mail, la réponse sera plus rapide : info(arobas)mraerodesign.com

Bonne chance dans ton projet !
Piper Cherokee C-FEYI (sold)
RV-7A C-GMYL Status : FLYING with perpetual RV Grin!!!
Hatz Classic : building wings
http://www.mykitlog.com/Closterman/
Donated to VAF (12-2016)
Old 09-27-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
Hello Martin,

thanks for your post, make sure to post from time to time a picture...
Pictures are coming soon...I am trying to spend more time in my shed working on the airplane prior to winter. I have all winter to spend behind computer to post pictures
RV-8 s/n #80414