What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh Mega Trip

douglassmt

Well Known Member
In the interest of brevity, and as a sort of personal challenge, here is a trip report of our just-finished Mega trip to Oshkosh, before and beyond, with only one photo from each stop. Well, maybe a couple when well deserved.

The entire trip route, 12 days:
TripRoute_zps42563676.png

First stop from Missoula was Bismarck, ND for a short business visit, then on to Grand Forks for our grand daughter's 2nd birthday. Priceless. If nothing else, this kind of trip justifies the effort put into the plane. Incidentally, this young lady had the good sense to be born on Tuesday morning of Airventure two years ago, requiring a trip east for a birthday and OSH on a regular basis. I suspect she'll be riding with me to OSH in the not-too-distant future.
DSC_0214_zps6c060dda.jpg

Next stop, Oshkosh, after an busy arrival (the cellist was a little impressed by the busy arrival for her first time at OSH) on Sunday morning. Happened to camp next to Kahuna and enjoyed visiting a while with him.
DSC_0386_zps5732ea7e.jpg

After Oshkosh, on to Mackinac Island on the recommendation of several RVers.
DSC_0426_zpsf642f629.jpg

After a few short hours on the island, on to Somerset, PA to RON for a morning trip to the Flight 93 memorial. Very impressive and an easy destination for pilots. Don't miss it, it's powerful and well done, if incomplete. The airport at 2G9 is nice, friendly, and a short ride in the courtesy car from the memorial. This one gets 2 pictures.
DSC_0494_zpsed5e2347.jpg

This is the flight path of Flight 93, the impact area is beyond the wood gate and the heroes names are on the white marble along the flight path.
DSC_0504_zpsc1cd0e15.jpg

Launch from 2G9 to meet the infamous Vlad at 39N, then on to N40 for lunch and a brief for the unbelievable Hudson River/Lady tour with Vlad as flight lead.

Vlad as flight lead approaching the VZ bridge. A very capable guide.
DSC_0522_zps93348e06.jpg

Up the east side of the Hudson River so close to the new Freedom Tower we could almost touch it, 1200' msl.
DSC_0544_zps499839e2.jpg

Three circles around Lady Liberty at 500' msl, breathtaking.
DSC_0644_zpsd2e208c4.jpg

After a couple days in NYC, we pointed the nose west and (after a brief stop in LHQ to see Geoff Coombs of Aerosport Products fame), we arrived at OJC to RON with family. Departed Sunday morning ahead of an approaching storm
OJCphoto_zps62ee00ec.jpg

to arrive back in God's country by dinner time. If anyone has question about the logistics of the trip, please email me and I'll be happy to provide the details. We learned a lot and look forward to going back.

Last edited:
Great write up

Thanks Bryan.

Great pictures!! Grand daughter is beautiful! The NYC flight is a moment that touches us when we reflect back to 09/11/2001. What a great country we live in!!!
Glad you had a safe and fun trip!

The shortest Mega Trip report I've ever seen. I was amazed how light you travel. In those two bags you took with you to NYC there was a space for Montana beer and high heels for a Broadway show. You guys rock!

Here is the Goodbye Girl crew. I will work hard to persuade them on different overnight location. :D

She looks great by Manhattan skyline.

Here where they left her. Linden NJ KLDJ.

Thanks for visiting. Welcome back anytime!

Flight 93

As stated, Flight 93 Memorial is still incomplete but there is construction going on.

Since it is a local flight for me, I will post an aerial photo of the completed memorial in a few years when construction has been completed.

It is only a couple of hour drive by car.

Back