What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop strike and engine manufacturer compliance

HBpilot

Engine manufacturers have directives to overhaul an engine in case of a prop strike, does it also apply to experimentals ?
For info, I am a potential buyer but after an internet research, I found out that it might have been the case.

Manufacturers don't require an overhaul... they require an inspection (which requires fully disassembling the engine so an overhaul is often done at the same time).

The exact same bad outcomes can occur with an experimental as with a certificated aircraft so even though there is no regulatory requirement that the inspection be done in the context of an experimental, it is foolish not to.

Thanks.
Agree and that's why trying to sell an airplane that had one, without saying anything, is criminal.
Just wanted to know if that would be considered a violation.

I can speak to this situation also, because I am intimately familiar with prop strikes (2) by my highly experienced, but non-GA partners. Both times, the engine was removed, sent to my FAA approved certified engine repair station (not required), JB Aircraft Engines and the shock load inspection was completed in accordance with AD#2004-10-14C paragraphs J and Lycoming MSB 475-C, MSB 533B and crankshaft and gear train repair and inspection in accordance with Lycoming Overhaul Manual 60294. Engine repair using procedures outlined in applicable Lycoming service manual 6094-7 and MSB 533B and all related ECI/TCM information. NONE of this is required in an experimental, but if are going to sell it, and don?t disclose this, you may be guilty of fraud - depending on how you represented the airplane. Both of mine are in my log books, and the shock load inspection report is also in my permanent maintenance records.

Should this affect the value of the airplane you are considering to buy? Depends.... If everything was done in accordance with what I?ve outlined above, it shouldn?t. Vic Syracuse agrees with this assessment, but that?s just his opinion. Happens to be mine too, but purchasing an airplane is a market driven deal, and some people may not be comfortable with a prop struck engine. Everything in the engine that is not perfect is replaced with new, including a few other parts that are automatically replaced. Accessories that could be affected are overhauled, many times with nothing wrong. The prop usually can?t be fixed economically, so it will probably be replaced with a new one. I?m on my 3rd brand new prop - in 1 year/100 hours flight time!! I don?t know how much of a hit you take with prop strike history, but I fear I?m about to find out. I don?t think it should affect resale at all because I will be selling, due to unsustainable insurance cost, but you should be in the other camp. A $5,000+ devaluation on the honestly appraised value seems fair. The devaluation should be relatively short lived. If it is operating perfectly after 5 years and a few hundred hours, I think the prop strike turned out to be a non issue. You won?t know that for a while.

Back