What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Theft Prevention - Key ignition or not

What security method do you have on your RV if any?

• Have traditional Key ignition with mags L/R/B and start

Votes: 73 40.6%
  • Have only switches (toggles, push) for Ignition and Start, not theift prevention

Votes: 81 45.0%
  • Have alternate threft protection (hidden fuel or electrical cutoff)

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • Protected from theift by a hungry Pit Bull and/or 12g shotgun

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters
Why don't you put a key switch (not a mag switch) inline with your starter push button?

i-rpWrZ4L-L.jpg

This has been my plan.

I was told that all RV 12's use the same key. They are not individually keyed.

Some RV-12's don't have keys...
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1181072&postcount=2

I do have the Aircraft Specialty canopy lock.

I do have a separate toggle switch labeled "ES" under a flip up toggle cover; it is in series with my starter switch, and enable switch. I did this not plan this with the idea to prevent theft, but to prevent inadvertent starter operation, although it might frustrate a thief. I plan on doing the same with my RV10.

Not sure if I got my keyed ignition switch from ACS or Vans. I like having the same key for ignition, canopy lock and front baggage compartment.

I only have rocker switches, with the starter button on the stick grip. When I go away, I made the canopy lift angle a bit bigger and drilled a hole to suit a padlock. Sure a crowbar would break it, but so would a hammer to the canopy.

That's what insurance is for, and if you want to flog my -9A, fill ya boots. I'll take the cheque and buy an RV-10 kit! :D

I only have rocker switches, with the starter button on the stick grip. When I go away, I made the canopy lift angle a bit bigger and drilled a hole to suit a padlock. Sure a crowbar would break it, but so would a hammer to the canopy.

That's what insurance is for, and if you want to flog my -9A, fill ya boots. I'll take the cheque and buy an RV-10 kit! :D

Exactly my thoughts, less the RV-10 kit. :)

I don't like key switches and won't ever have one in any plane I build. Toggles on the panel and a start button on the stick. Simple, functional, and I'm accustomed to it.

I don't ever worry about theft; that's why I have insurance.

I use a keyed master with mag switches and push button start...

For locking I use a slider lock, based on one I cobbled up but currently being machined and sold by a friend who likes making aluminum chips...

If you would like one, contact Joe directly at 250 768 3384. He is asking $110 USD or $120 CAD delivered by post in Canada and the US. The padlock is not included.

This shows my original design, with Joe's refinement, rotated, slightly higher and anodized at a little more than half the weight...

This shows the canopy in the fully closed position...

This shows the canopy in the slightly open "ventilation" position...

Back