Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2019, 06:48 PM

I see in the picture of the 12isT it has a audio panel. Is this also included?
Old 08-19-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterprise View Post
I see in the picture of the 12isT it has a audio panel. Is this also included?
Yes, it is. Important component for sure. I missed putting that one the list - now added. Thx!

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014 (N88VX reserved)
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XPIO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Hillsboro, OR (EAA 105)

Old 08-22-2019, 05:37 PM

The order form for the G3X IFR package includes this italicized statement:

Note that the current Light Sport Aircraft standards (ELSA and SLSA) preclude operation in Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC). While aircraft licensed under the LSA standard may be operated "in the system" under Instrument Flight Rules, such as in a training environment, certification as LSA currently prohibits IMC operations.

I believe this is incorrect. I have spent a great deal of time looking for the written source of the prohibition on IMC operations, and I have not found it or anything that even implies this is so. My research so far shows that the ASTM standards for LSAs is completely silent about IMC operations. I had heard that the ASTM LSA committee was going to take up the IMC issue at its meeting in October of last year, and I emailed a committee member to ask if IMC operations were on the agenda; but I didn't receive a response of any kind.

If anyone has the actual legal document that prohibits properly equipped LSAs from being flown in IMC, by Instrument Rated pilots, I would very much appreciate seeing the exact language, and its source.
VAF Dues Paid
Old 08-26-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lon@carolon.net View Post
The order form for the G3X IFR package includes this italicized statement:

Note that the current Light Sport Aircraft standards (ELSA and SLSA) preclude operation in Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC). While aircraft licensed under the LSA standard may be operated "in the system" under Instrument Flight Rules, such as in a training environment, certification as LSA currently prohibits IMC operations.

I believe this is incorrect. I have spent a great deal of time looking for the written source of the prohibition on IMC operations, and I have not found it or anything that even implies this is so. My research so far shows that the ASTM standards for LSAs is completely silent about IMC operations. I had heard that the ASTM LSA committee was going to take up the IMC issue at its meeting in October of last year, and I emailed a committee member to ask if IMC operations were on the agenda; but I didn't receive a response of any kind.

If anyone has the actual legal document that prohibits properly equipped LSAs from being flown in IMC, by Instrument Rated pilots, I would very much appreciate seeing the exact language, and its source.
Someone posted a detailed response to this, but that response is no longer here. Was it deleted, and if so why (it looked like it was written by someone with real knowledge) or did I only imagine that I saw it?
VAF Dues Paid
Old 08-26-2019, 12:59 PM

Well there was this from a couple years ago..

https://generalaviationnews.com/2017...ifr-in-an-lsa/

As far as I'm concerned though, if your E-LSA's POH prohibits spins, flight into IMC, etc. That's the final word. With that mindset, the question then perhaps becomes who is allowed to change the POH in an E-LSA? I don't know.
Wings 95% done (AOA)
Fuse 100% done
Finish 75% done (canopy, cowl & tail glass)
Avionics 0% done (IFR package ordered)
Dues paid 2019