What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting a car and Full RV Kit in a 2 car garage

With the nasty weather we're having in Dallas, it gave me a great chance to prove that you you can have a full RV kit and a full size car in a 2 car garage.

Stay safe out there.

dz_M3giU5wDb_-Tzc-uyLvIE-87WOXB8J28MmRI6gKpYNJyOkCO6yJaxl5RiTpL1sG9oq0i1OjFa2kvHgEEtYEG2xtfJcQyR0ULbggDDKWorqIvNVeteosdEfAQg38RFEazPiWDGDqkD7rHEjJ7wRPsFCA5ULg7MSxPng1t--LaJvpQexZOJUe4i-DRcdgNIzdZwHtPcI6X7qUr2a3pwC2R-BTCotn4MmFBbB42RBXXSW-JTi6ubFBWgifl-B5CSqXiPpdZ-_g7G1-BOeIgpxaq-jk6Pg6DD9tKY4toZvMeihVz3O4_avYAsyOihHqw7oJND_3VUg6j3V_nG6CMgjDDmdTLgkt1udE9V6KLCE3CCyaqE5RJMTXlrgxFIYYIxHzVy0vYRGjdPr3-pq1NR9xFRRjct58hifmTWrCkmJo-G7YE1Rg49BG5Q2gFFIqrXP1ViFH_pbe0vpah1B1t7Hj3gCMfgnQwebWJgIboMM-aEQmk3y1klBy5D2dOg5tABTh8JfIC3sf1jBw-6TJz6ydt--7cx9UQAJN8z6aSR7oKkmMC7x7czEzibnbRJMLVRfaYaOYbfL6WXy559GJ1Cr30dRAS7m03vFo-u8x3pHz3fu0hxLyRdVESPEeiJCI4BxaKPlSCvVXIf5f_ixClPyGwCmRFPbCtL2cyHlhjGq5yfEXShdTb7wOeJQ_r-DZov6YRiI_Rud6FZf-1KjCxWtlfY=w800-no

That?s what my garage is about to look like. I sold my RV-4 and going to build my RV-6 at home. Im going to vacate the hangar I?m renting and move everything to the house. My wife is not going to be happy.

Yup. Been there, doing that.

But, but, but how do you do it? Like this! 9' ceiling allows for wings to hang from ceiling above garage door.

Daytime when I'm working on it.

mER2lP-vV94MFJJytqIF_IDa_Ur6j1CrloZJ_iN1b1CJgRZwcaCfJVPfLffji3OcGQtZSHyeW-h-RLBYIRuxYkj3NsLxFsgEUhiSau0kTDgQsYF2r_FKeVeeYXULbD9AongmR-z7VPvVg1dqjlOGTSNXoOj8Lt9wbUVp9o0pTu6i9q8tPsfOriRq_IT84Vf0StrTl7tcAuT7AfX_bZynhYeO2rg_91K1yRb2efUF59ezFnLPTYzthSwRSE1F29iMIE6iF5uNVsib6eOjshfZOnrhYrmX1GZ_SiGtgaika2et1dAheyAvZlCsrIozEO86_VXuiWcfIldZUHVigXIvOLw6kKKPdXwyBYEC-gpSso-70Zjk7RHh614ZxmS3Q3RFM5OQb4p44ZPQxbOA13cYRwa_pDD2la1OTberpbeU5qbgBwkRGpFgOa17PD7wKOlr2tmisUyFxuIgSXe6nYniHV6Di5LfKLAWzp9rBWkKoT569nW-tNsXVXpL8MxR4xANNZcSTEtrHjBJKNTnKZXgk4icyQR10t6OtGn95C7yl2D2a9ghzEjtubLLn3CrOjl_upMXMqmy6VKrmLPGXmCc2eQmERDVrz4V6hjFFrQm-9gByjqfzYfhKou63c-1joCnFic8drfgRzpoSf54m4b-XxLaPnAMKZY=w1250-h704-no

Put away at night for the wife's whip.

IIK36eXfRlnxF4OvYo1bm6TyR-VsO60sGwWUq_TZGHznSjKMSjrqj0TQ60X70XRVfI4kxY4F_g8LW2iIk4YwMVN0o5011kDYN2T5u0Qm6XnnEZOF2SAwohke87nM7Dty09U6l3vD-j4LepZCNZo7akJH--gTgHjNzJNWjENnp0TegJU8Tt6NAWKoXArKFgRv6eVZRA9cuJPLTa5RqlqlK71dbJKB16Aw3_zpiXlhLd04fJU7snM94OkXfs43Zi9ZWXsQe2i_Xx7jYeMzazf2fRb96SATMmIIxLpCm05xAn9T01hVzptWbro-oOhziAPDBhiq-b_bxjGrLe0VAjFh3y2W-Txc9G1b-5LY8qh-X4oKYMNbBa1xrOEtf--Ef1iHZAi4H9jMyuJHVLix6tXOXkDeQBKMYy5BMzxrbuq-ComhLLCfqDYKZgDz6ZkOjtOqtAip4T0SchsxqAPLBhb85Wl7ELylGDHcbAJAfCmd6HViiFC3rgMqc2B5StypPHdvQMF6_tFSchGTzTApy6KNLQNrUaOoHg2wiIbo1ZKA9qSCncW3bKCnDJrtWjS31zmt4C1xo1Go9QEk9r3uscoPn88TTMyRoLBPPzZDB-X3wYp3H97k_cC50KuanLivZIycxRspWNhuTfQxYKgcfyesRqWYjCpLaN4=w1250-h704-no

These pictures are great. I?m just about to get started on my 7 and this is my exact plan. Also, please do not show these garage pictures to my wife. I?ve sold her the idea that she will have a lot more room for her car in there than this!

Wow. Good for you, but I couldn't work like that. My cars are always exiled to the driveway for the duration.

Cars that can't sit on the driveway get moved on. I sold my Ferrari once the -14A project got underway in earnest, but I have a new one coming next spring, so I need to get the airplane finished and out of there! :)

I built my -8A in one side of a 2 car garage, but I did store completed stuff in the house before taking it all to the hangar. Some of you may remember...I live streamed my build for over two and a half years.

I built my -8A in one side of a 2 car garage, but I did store completed stuff in the house before taking it all to the hangar. Some of you may remember...I live streamed my build for over two and a half years.

I remember, buddy. We're old-timers. You, me, Randy Lervold, and Kevin Horton all built -8s around the same timeframe. This December will be 20 years since I started that project. Hard to believe.

Same for me

I have a similar setup in mine - QB fuse on a cart on one side, and both wings on stands at the rear and on the other side of the garage, leaving just enough room for what I refer to as part of the "happy wife, happy life" arrangement. I made a deal with my wife that as long as she can park her car in the garage for the vast majority of the build, then the rest of it is all mine.

When the wings are done they will live in the wing stand off to one side against the wall, and the wing stands will be removed, and that should leave me enough room for permanently mounting the tail and the gear on the fuse, while still keeping that vital space for the wife's car. All my tail pieces are out of the way on hangers or shelves on the garage walls. The down side --- my truck spends ALL of its life out on the driveway - a real PITA in the winter time, but I'm OK with that. So far so good........

Yup, Next month will be 20 years for me since I started my -8A! Good times!!

I remember, buddy. We're old-timers. You, me, Randy Lervold, and Kevin Horton all built -8s around the same timeframe. This December will be 20 years since I started that project. Hard to believe.

I broke down and built a backyard shed for the wings and empennage. Click for more (including horrible child labor) pictures.

Good times.
Tanya tells a story about how, after we got married, it took 16yrs for her to be able to park a car in the garage. (I didn't say "her" car!)

Now, a couple decades in, she has a full time parking spot, IN the garage for the beat down old truck she has been driving all those years. She couldn't care less if it got hailed on or a big tree fell on it now. Beware, woman driving nothing more than a battering ram in traffic :).

Beware, woman driving nothing more than a battering ram in traffic :).

Back in another lifetime, while working at T.I., I drove a '62 Chevy Stepside P-U with half a railroad tie for a front bumper.
People tended to give me right-of-way.

For bonus points, try it with an RV-10. ;-)

Doin' it...both again and with an RV10. Only real issue so far has been the kabuki dance required to shuffle things around to get the canopy fitted all the while not touching mamma's Explorer (which is required to be in a garage for some odd reason, meanwhile, the real truck sits out in the driveway :cool:)

RV-10 in 2-Car Garage

A question to you 10 builders. Will an RV-10 build fit in a 2-car garage?

I finished my RV-7A in my two car garage and took it to the airport for final assembly. It fit fine. I even put the wings on to drill the rear wing spar bolt hole with the tail installed. Is the RV-10 so much bigger that I really need a hangar to build in or will I be able to build it most of the way in my garage?

thanks

Back