What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help Please! EIS Remote Locations in an RV-8A

taverroi

Well Known Member
Im struggling here and I dont know that I should be. Can anyone tell me where I can remotely locate my EIS for my GRT Efis besides the main instrument panel. I've seen photos of them mounted on the lower left and right sides in the cockpit just forward of the pilot, but I'm being told that it is only workable for an RV8 not the 8A. Any idea's? I do not want this thing on my panel. Any 8A owners with experience here on this?

Tango

Look very low right (below switch panel) its a slave unit.
panel008.jpg

Tim. That looks great. I very much appriciate the pic. I new it could be done. So what is a slave unit? as opposed to a regular unit? Is there a size difference. I see another one on your panel. So why is there two? Can you explain. I only have one. Are you showing me that there is in fact room for one full size unit on the lower right side as you have or is a "slave unit" not as deep or something.

The units are identical in size. You can mount the primary EIS unit in the lower panel.
I had a second slave unit before I bought the SX.
The slave unit is connected by two wires to the primary and allows you to split up the pages so you can see more info at a glance.

One thing I would want to check is, clearance for all the EGT and CHT wires through the connector. I have my 25 pin connector on with the wire jacket, but I only have two wires coming out of it. You might have to leave off the jacket.

Im struggling here and I dont know that I should be. Can anyone tell me where I can remotely locate my EIS for my GRT Efis besides the main instrument panel. I've seen photos of them mounted on the lower left and right sides in the cockpit just forward of the pilot, but I'm being told that it is only workable for an RV8 not the 8A. Any idea's? I do not want this thing on my panel. Any 8A owners with experience here on this?

Tango

Not an RV-8A owner but I am a DAR.

Saw one RV-8 that had the EIS mounted on a hinged plate that was under the panel. In the normal position the face of the EIS faced the floor. It could be released so that it would come down from under the panel. The builder mounted it that way as he did not want it in the panel but needed it for data entry. For data entry, he released the latch, rotated down so the face was pointing aft toward the pilots face, and he could then press buttons and read the display. After he was finished, he would push forward and up then latch it back in its stowed position.

One thing I would want to check is, clearance for all the EGT and CHT wires through the connector. I have my 25 pin connector on with the wire jacket, but I only have two wires coming out of it. You might have to leave off the jacket.

This is good information and exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again Tim

Not an RV-8A owner but I am a DAR.

Saw one RV-8 that had the EIS mounted on a hinged plate that was under the panel. In the normal position the face of the EIS faced the floor. It could be released so that it would come down from under the panel. The builder mounted it that way as he did not want it in the panel but needed it for data entry. For data entry, he released the latch, rotated down so the face was pointing aft toward the pilots face, and he could then press buttons and read the display. After he was finished, he would push forward and up then latch it back in its stowed position.

Thanks for this as well. Im gonna check with my mechanic and see about this option. I would prefer it visible as in the first pic posted in help but this is definately something I had not thought about.

Another view of EIS mounted in a 8A

Here's another view of a EIS mounted similar to the already posted photo. I have the dual GRT HX Displays. Very little access is needed to the EIS because alarms can be set via the Displays and data is available on the Displays. In my case, the EIS is an alternate source of altitude and airspeed. Therefore, I do desire it to be somewhat available for viewing.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...k&project=211&category=6250&log=130244&row=77

Back