What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Gascolator

Peterk

Well Known Member
Two of us early 12 fliers have had sudden psi fluctuations in our fuel pressure on the Dynon. Turns out, in these two cases it was trash on the gascolator screen from hastily cleaned out fuel tanks or not screening fuel before we sent it down the funnel. Yes we were told...by Van's and by friends. But like "get home Itis" there is "fly-your-project Itis". Lots of us use fuel that we pour in from gas cans which compounds the problem of course. So I've learned two things: screen everything (the Spruce funnel?) and clean, clean, clean that tank spic and span before filling. Actually, I've learned three things: the Dynon glass screen alerted me to the problem...the engine never sputtered...but it would have no doubt...thank you Dynon.

More info please,

Turns out, in these two cases it was trash on the gascolator screen from hastily cleaned out fuel tanks or not screening fuel before we sent it down the funnel.......and clean, clean, clean that tank spic and span before filling.

Pete, so was it bits of fuel tank sealant on the screen?

How do you clean out the fuel tank?

Tony

Typically, the screens in the gasolator are only cleaned once a year at CI annual. It maybe be a good idea to clean the screen (spray can brake cleaner works good) at the first oil change of 20 - 25 hours to look for construction debris.

I cleaned my tank by adding a gallon of two of fuel and shaking it for 2-3 mins and letting the fuel drain out of the tank and screen the gas in a MR. Funnel. Repeat 2-3 times. until there is no debris in the funnel.

Good catch Pete.

Last edited:
I cleaned my tank by adding a gallon of two of fuel and shaking it for 2-3 mins and letting the fuel drain out of the tank and screen the gas in a MR. Funnel. Repeat 2-3 times. until there is no debris in the funnel.

Not a bad idea at all, but their can still be debris within the rest of the fuel system (from making the lines, etc.)
This why the production acceptance checklist has a procedure for flushing fuel through the majority of the system and then inspecting/cleaning the gascolator before the first flight.

Just curious, how do you take a fuel sample from the RV-12 tank before each flight? I didn't notice a drain under the fuselage when I saw the RV-12 prototype.

There is a drain check on the bottom of the gascolator under the engine. I really think most of my "junk" was from not pouring my gas can product through a screen first. We'll see how things go now that I do. I think Larry's program is probably the way to go but Scott is right too...you have to clean the line as well.

fuel sample

What tool is everyone using to sample fuel from their gasolator? I noticed this weekend when I tried to sample fuel the bowl is about 2" up under the lower cowling with the only access hole the small opening the overflow tube exits or by reaching in through the rear opening of the lower engine cowling by laying on my back. Am I missing something here?

What I did - -

I built an extension for the sampler so it would reach high enough. Works well. Just pull it off and put in box beside sampler bowl.

D&M Dan,
I believe you have missed drilling the hole in the cowl directly beneath the gascolator. If I recall, it's about 1" in diameter, allowing you to put the sample tube up through the hole.

D&M Dan,
I believe you have missed drilling the hole in the cowl directly beneath the gascolator. If I recall, it's about 1" in diameter, allowing you to put the sample tube up through the hole.

Correct.
The hole is designed to provide for easy use of a fuel sample tube like THIS

You must be correct, I will check my plans, although they are an older set that step should be there. I must have been too busy fitting the cowl and some how missed that step. I will order that sampler and drill a hole at the airport.
Thank You

Be aware that some sampler tubes have molded protrusions on the sides that make it impossible to slide the tube in the hole. If you run into this simply grind the protrusions off with a belt sander or the like.

I replaced the gascolator drain valve with one that locks open with a twist. I like it for several reasons: it prevents a vacuum lock when you are removing the bowl for insp Cotonou, it makes draining your fuel system easy and I don't need the stem that protrudes above the tester tube. You do have to remember to verify the valve shuts after taking a preflight sample, but that has only happened once in over 100 samples and it was obvious.

I replaced the gascolator drain valve with one that locks open with a twist. I like it for several reasons: it prevents a vacuum lock when you are removing the bowl for insp Cotonou, it makes draining your fuel system easy and I don't need the stem that protrudes above the tester tube. You do have to remember to verify the valve shuts after taking a preflight sample, but that has only happened once in over 100 samples and it was obvious.

Not always obvious.....
There is at least one RV take-off accident caused by the use of a locking drain ion the gascolator.

RV owners usually learn early on that almost no fuel comes out of the gascolator drain unless the electric pump is on.
If someone is unaware of this detail, it is possible to accidentally leave it open with little to no indication, if the electric pump is off.
Once the engine is started the large leak will obviously have a major impact on engine performance.

Scott, the one time I inadvertently locked it open while sampling the trickle was pretty obvious, and as I said ensuring it is in the correct position is an important part of my preflight. I've owned a Cherokee 180 with this type of drain valve on each gas tank as well as the gascolator for 31 years, so it is second nature for me to check the valve status after sampling. I think the advantages I mentioned make the twist-to-lock valve a good choice as long as reasonable care is taken. You can't eliminate every possible bad scenario with design without losing some desirable features.

I flushed my system as per instructions when doing the PAP procedures and at 103 hours have had no debris on the screen, bowl or with any fuel samples.

At risk of a thread drift, thought I'd post my recent experience. Just did my first annual and was unable to remove the right rear gascolator screw. There is a nut plate for a clamp inside the airplane that holds the fuel return line as shown on drawing 22-02. I had too much thread showing through the nutplate adjacent to the screw and the extra was just enough to block screw removal. No problem when trimmed flush. In final assembly I probably used too long a screw. This error made a 10 minute inspection take several hours.

Scott, the one time I inadvertently locked it open while sampling the trickle was pretty obvious, and as I said ensuring it is in the correct position is an important part of my preflight. I've owned a Cherokee 180 with this type of drain valve on each gas tank as well as the gascolator for 31 years, so it is second nature for me to check the valve status after sampling. I think the advantages I mentioned make the twist-to-lock valve a good choice as long as reasonable care is taken. You can't eliminate every possible bad scenario with design without losing some desirable features.

My comment wasn't really for you Rich.... just mentioning it for others since I can confirm the potential for it causing a problem is real (I saw the wreckage that was the result of the forced landing it caused.

BTW, this was on an early RV-6 where someone had used a cherokee gascolator / fuel pump assy.

Scott,

Yep, each builder should definitely consider your position and beware of the issues before they decide what's best for them.

Rich

Back