What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Bolts?

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Page 38-33 , step 1 has you tighten the canopy bolts shown on page 38-27 zone 3. That's 10 bolts up on each side. These bolts also hold the C-01450 canopy seal. Do not know if Van's missed the remainder, or I'm missing something or there is still more to come on these bolts?

Zone 1 & 2 tightened earlier

Ron, Step 18 on page 38-26 instructs us to tighten zone 1, step 16 on page 38-27 has the instructions for tightening zone 2 and finally step 1 on page 38-33 has instructions for tightening zone 3. Hope this helps. Alan

Page 38-33 , step 1 has you tighten the canopy bolts shown on page 38-27 zone 3. That's 10 bolts up on each side. These bolts also hold the C-01450 canopy seal. Do not know if Van's missed the remainder, or I'm missing something or there is still more to come on these bolts?

Do mean screws?

Bolts have a hex shape for a wrench... screws have a slot or cross for a screw driver (that's the common nomenclature here in the U.S. anyway).

Ron, Step 18 on page 38-26 instructs us to tighten zone 1, step 16 on page 38-27 has the instructions for tightening zone 2 and finally step 1 on page 38-33 has instructions for tightening zone 3. Hope this helps. Alan

Thanks Alan
I had those steps done months ago and had forgotten they were done back then. I loosened them in order to install the seal, perhaps I was not supposed to. Van's must have meant for me to just push the seal under the alum. strip without loosening the "screws" .
I redo these steps in proper sequence.
Thanks again

Do mean screws?

Bolts have a hex shape for a wrench... screws have a slot or cross for a screw driver (that's the common nomenclature here in the U.S. anyway).

Yep , I guess I'll concede to machine screws. To me if it has a nut it's a bolt.
Now that we are on topic of screws , I feel very badly for our US neighbors. If you only had the opportunity to use one Robertson screw in your life you would never go back to a Phillips head screw again. Robertson screws are not infallible but they are at least 1000 times a better head than Phillips.
Us Canadians hear that the only reason the US does not move over to the Robertson head is because it's a Canadian invention (just hear say) but for what ever the reason, I feel sorry for you every time I work on an aircraft. I use Phillips on my aircraft because they are aircraft certified, I'm sure Robertson head screws could be made to the same mil spec.
At work we routinely (and I'm very serious here) through out all the Phillips screws that come with components and replace them with Robertson, they are just that much better.

Do mean screws?

Hmmmmmm....seems like screws and bolts can have any type of head....

The defining distinction, per Machinery's Handbook,[2] is in their intended purpose: Bolts are for the assembly of two unthreaded components, with the aid of a nut. Screws in contrast are used with components, at least one of which contains its own internal thread, which even may be formed by the installation of the screw itself.

Hmmmmmm....seems like screws and bolts can have any type of head....

The defining distinction, per Machinery's Handbook,[2] is in their intended purpose: Bolts are for the assembly of two unthreaded components, with the aid of a nut. Screws in contrast are used with components, at least one of which contains its own internal thread, which even may be formed by the installation of the screw itself.

For airplanes I prefer the Standard Aircraft Handbook (even if they could be referred to as machines).

Regardless, in this context the construction manual would win out... It is written with the context of the definitions I originally posted.

BTW, I didn't ask the original question to be snarky.... when we are talking about technical details via short little notes in a forum, it is hard enough as it is. Then when we start using mixed terminology, it can get nearly impossible.

P.S. The canopy seal can be, and is intended to be, inserted without loosening all of the screws that attach the metal strip.

Scott, I certainly did not see anything wrong with your comment certainly not snarky. I understood your concern making sure we were both talking about the same thing. I had the Phillips head problem yesterday stripping two heads and needing to drill them off, and was venting. that's all.
Thanks for your help once again.

Hey Ron,

We do use Robertson heads here in the main floor of North America. They are used pretty extensively in construction (wood) screws and are gaining popularity. I'm not sure why machine screws do not use them here yet but I agree they are a lot better. What I can't understand is why in Earth we have not rid the world of slot headed screws. Only the Devil himself could keep those things in existence.

I have a question -- how do you rivet the rivets for the canopy side skin on a RV 14? Do you buck them or squeeze them?

Robbie's rule!

Yep , I guess I'll concede to machine screws. To me if it has a nut it's a bolt.
Now that we are on topic of screws , I feel very badly for our US neighbors. If you only had the opportunity to use one Robertson screw in your life you would never go back to a Phillips head screw again. Robertson screws are not infallible but they are at least 1000 times a better head than Phillips.
Us Canadians hear that the only reason the US does not move over to the Robertson head is because it's a Canadian invention (just hear say) but for what ever the reason, I feel sorry for you every time I work on an aircraft. I use Phillips on my aircraft because they are aircraft certified, I'm sure Robertson head screws could be made to the same mil spec.
At work we routinely (and I'm very serious here) through out all the Phillips screws that come with components and replace them with Robertson, they are just that much better.

slight thread drift?...yes, I throw out all my slotted, and most Philips, unless they are in my 'airplane' section of the yard!

I heard that none other than Mr. Henry Ford, master of efficiency and control freak, wanted a screw that could withstand being driven by machine into the ( wooden) body frames of the model T etc.
He found the Robertson superior in every way, but the savvy son-of-a-Scot would not sell the patent to Ford, he insisted on licensing the design. History shows that Henry would have none of this, and bought the rights to the Phillips head instead.

oh my, what HAVE you done Mr. Ford???????????? :confused:

Back