What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: New York

0G7

0G7- Oswego County Airport has breakfast and lunch 0800-1400 daily at Caroline's Airport Diner on the field. Very good selection at reasonable prices. Lot's o' fly-ins on the weekend.

Caroline's Diner on the field is closed as of 31 May 07. EAA 486 chapter still has fly-in breakfasts once/month in the Spring-Fall months.

Last edited:
KLKP

KLKP- Lake Placid Airport.

Very scenic flight into the Adirondak Mountains. See the olympic ski jumps on your downwind leg. 1.5 mile walk into town or ask the airport mgr for a ride. Very nice people. Lot's of restaurants and shops as you walk around the quaint village. It is also a nice walk around the lake. You can also visit many olympic sites including the areana of the 1980 USA Hockey Team victories. It is much smaller inside than it appeared on TV. Overall a great destination.

L.I. ny

over a hundred miles of beaches, ocean on one side the sound on the other. a real lot of farm land out east. and the ny city skyscrapers to the west. we have small grass strips or 9000 ft runways.

danny
rv-4
n2275s

New York City!?!

New York City, of course, is a great place to visit. (I must say, I could never live there, but its a great city to visit).

My wife Holly and I visited my brother up there this weekend. We decided to do it on Friday morning, left the airport (Goldsboro, NC) at 1:30, and we were in Manhattan by 5:30. RVs are awesome!

We flew up the east coast, over Virginia Beach and Norfolk, then along the coast to pass just west of Atlantic City, over McGuire AFB (watch out for the restricted area near there), and into Linden Airport (KLDJ), located a few miles south of Newark International. If you descend to <800 feet on your way in from the south, you stay under the Class B airspace and you don't need a clearance. Just fly up the river and enter a left base for Rwy 27 and land. There is a LOT of airline traffic, though, so keep your head on a swivel. They also do a lot of helicopter training there, so look out for those guys hover-taxiing down the runway.
They have a fair amount of transient ramp space. The tiedowns are sized for someting more like a 737 than an RV, so there are long ropes you can use to tie the aircraft down. Landing fee is $10, waived for 20gal or more fuel. Overnight parking fee is an additional $10. The friendly folks at the desk will call you a cab for the 1 mile trip to the Linden train station (about $6 plus tip). If you're in a hurry, call them on the UNICOM and they'll have a car waiting. Then you can take the Long Branch Line (I think that was the name..) to New York's Penn Station for $6 per person. The trip takes about 40 minutes. So from LDJ to New York City was just over an hour.
The one-night hotel stay cost more than the transportation budget, of course ($200/night - and that was relatively cheap!!).
We had to leave today to beat the big line of storms rolling in, or we would have stayed another night and flown around the Statue of Liberty and stuff the next day. Oh well, we'll go up there again sometime!

Cheers,

Another RV to NYC

In 1968 one year after we were married Jeanine and I drove to New York to sample the excitement of this famous city. In 1972 I was assigned as a resident representative for McDonnell Douglas Astronautics Company – East to cover the development of elements of the Harpoon anti-ship missile (think of a 600 mph torpedo). The most critical development was the control fin actuator by Nash Controls in West Caldwell, NJ but I also covered Sperry’s development of the shipboard command and launch system on Long Island and Westinghouse’s development of the data processor in Baltimore. As a result I developed fairly good driving knowledge of the main arteries. For our 40th Anniversary this year we decided to return to that great city in our RV-6A, which we had built in our garage in California.

We worked out a flight plan together; I figure and Jeanine records. With our extra fuel capacity I determined we could make the trip with one en route fuel stop in London, Kentucky. From there we continued to our destination, the Essex County Airport in Caldwell, New Jersey. I filed and flew IFR but in better weather conditions we could have made the trip with ATC communication with the control towers at Drake field and Essex County only.

I anticipated some testy communication with the controllers of New York Center and New York Approach. Nothing could have been further from the truth. There is no reason to avoid the trip because of apprehension about that communication. The tower and ground control communication at Essex County is not as high quality as Center and Approach but by the time you get to that point you have been flying for a long time an you can deal with it easily. There are two FBOs on the field Caldwell Air Service and Mac Dan Aviation. Mac Dan Aviation is a more flush operation with Enterprise Car Rental on site and ramp fees to match. Caldwell Air Service charges $10 per night. I reserved a car ahead, parked the plane at Caldwell Air Service and walked next door to the Enterprise office in Mac Dan’s building and everyone was happy.

I reserved a room in the Holiday Inn in Parsippany, New Jersey because when I reported for my assignment 35 years ago that is the place I stayed until I got an apartment in East Orange. They didn’t remember me but I remembered the area.

We thought we would see a couple of Broadway Shows and eat at some nice restaurants, take a Grayline tour of the city and visit Ellis Island. I tried to get tickets for “Jersey Boys” but the first availability was early next year. I was able to get tickets to Oprah Winfrey’s presentation of The Color Purple” at the Broadway Theater on Broadway and “Curtains” starring David Hyde Pierce at the Al Hirschfield Theater on 45th Street. I made dinner reservations on the internet from home at the Rainbow Grill on the 65th floor at Rockefeller Center and at Tavern on the Green in Central Park. We figured that we would want to improvise some after we got there so the rest was left open.

I drove us to New York each day and we usually parked in a garage on the right side of 44th Street, which is one way (most of the streets and avenues are) eastbound between 8th and 9th Avenues. If you cross under the Hudson River through the Lincoln Tunnel it is just a couple of blocks north of where you enter Manhattan.

Both shows were great. The Rainbow Grill was a great disappointment because of our experience there in 1968. It was a nightclub with great food, a dance floor and star quality entertainment. When we were there Helen O’Connell was appearing. She sang beautifully in the intimate setting and two of the songs from Camelot still move me today when I think of the time we were there and heard her sing them. Well, you can imagine the disappointment in a dinner with a view no matter how spectacular and nothing else. $248 was a bit much for that I thought but you enjoy, go with the flow and don’t go back.

Our dinner at The Tavern on The Green was just the opposite. Valet parking by the restaurant in the park at 67th Street. We had a wonderful dinner in a beautiful setting on our anniversary evening.

Grayline has a comprehensive tour of Manhattan and we enjoyed that quite a bit. Especially interesting was the tour of the United Nations assembly building. This was the 50th anniversary of the Russian launch of the first manmade satellite on Earth and a full size replica was hanging in the entrance hall where we had seen it 39 years ago. Since the General Assembly and the Security Council rooms were not in use we were allowed to go in and sit in the gallery. We felt that this was special. We had visited the UN before but we had never entered these rooms.

We took a tour of the NBC Studios in Rockefeller Center but this was not very significant. We took the tour of observation deck at the “Top of the Rock” and that was fun. Just walking the streets and seeing things like the CBS Studio where David Letterman’s show is produced is kind of exciting to us.

The thing that really stands out above the rest was the visit to Ellis Island. You can go there by boat from New York or New Jersey but New Jersey is easiest. Liberty Park by Jersey City is where the tour boats dock. Jeanine’s Parents came though there so it really was a significant visit for her. We rented the self-guided tour equipment, walked through all the halls and rooms. We looked at the personal photographs that showed the immigrants, told their names, situation and their country of origin. It was impossible to not get a sense of what they went through and what they hoped for. The nearby Statue of Liberty is a moving symbol but this is where people’s future hung in the balance and lives changed forever. A very worthwhile visit for any American but especially so for those who can trace their roots through the very facility we were standing in.

On Columbus Day we headed home. I planned and filed for the reverse route home. I could have flown it VFR on my own but there were clouds along the route home and I chose to go IFR. When I picked up the clearance only the last leg was cleared as filed and many amendments were issued as we flew along. We arrived back in London, Kentucky only to find that we probably weren’t going to get home that night because of thunderstorms. We got to Paducah and had to put down for the night. After a good night’s sleep we flew home in clear skies the next morning.

Bob Axsom

NY Area Airport restaurants

2 excellent places:-

KMGJ - Orange County Airport, huge runways and an excellent diner, brand new, on airport - Ricks Runway Cafe.

closeby

N45 - Kobelt - Excellent gourmet restaurant on the field - The Casual Palate.

The OZ Fly in Bed and Breakfast,

There is very unique fly in Bed and Breakfast in Cere NY
http://www.ozhomestay-huntinglodge.com/welcome.html
It's just East of Olean NY. Grass runway and no instrument approach.
One of the owners, Ash, is a skydive instructor so you can make a tandem jump if you like or you can fish ,hunt,swim, camp, go antiquing or just hang out.
It's right on the New York PA border so maybe this post should be in the Pennsylvania section too.

Oswego EAA Breakfast

Just a clarification: The Oswego EAA breakfast is always on the second Sunday of the month, May through September. That makes May 8'th as the first one for the 2011 season....

0G7- Oswego County Airport has breakfast and lunch 0800-1400 daily at Caroline's Airport Diner on the field. Very good selection at reasonable prices. Lot's o' fly-ins on the weekend.

Caroline's Diner on the field is closed as of 31 May 07. EAA 486 chapter still has fly-in breakfasts once/month in the Spring-Fall months.

Republic KFRG

Airport has a restaurant on the field by the tower. Top notch food priced accordingly. The place was packed reservations required. We had an RV meet there recently the buffet style brunch was $30. Well worth it. Highly recommended.

EMAS in place :)

emas.jpg

Airliners on the main terminal.

Airliners.jpg

Hours of operation

hours.jpg

56th.jpg

The place is full of memorabilia.

byrestaurant.jpg

The Eaters

KFRGMeetup.jpg

After meal you could taxi for American Airpower Museum to Sheltair they didn't charge us a cent for parking. Nice folks.

johnandbill.jpg

themuseum.jpg

Hey Vlad, That is a nice -6 you are taxiing behind!!!

johnandbill.jpg

Who is that?

They are almost DEAD NUTS on the centerline of the taxiway!!!

:D CJ

Hey Vlad, That is a nice -6 you are taxiing behind!!!

Who is that?

They are almost DEAD NUTS on the centerline of the taxiway!!!

:D CJ

That's Perfect Bill with his autopilot :D Autopilot has voice recognition system built in which can talk to the Ground.

KFOK Westhampton/Gabreski Airport

A local VAF member mentioned a cafe at Gabreski airport. The joint is run by an FBO and has good food. Located by the Tower there is plenty parking space and you can see your RV from the restaurant. Clean, seats about 30 indoors and there are tables outside for those who love NE winters.

0bceaf7b.jpg

They serve big eats it's tasty. Staff is very artistic probably has a second job at a Broadway show.

7bcc0984.jpg

bf6bdc51.jpg

There is very modest ramp fee from the FBO which is NOT waived when dining with them. They may tell you it's waived but when you are leaving and ask for gate code, a boss reminds you have to pay :) Probably he didn't know he just run into a Turbo' scout :D

Recommended.

That's Perfect Bill with his autopilot :D Autopilot has voice recognition system built in which can talk to the Ground.

Vlad, I am just a meat servo!

;)

KFOK sounds good!

We were booting around locally yesterday checking out Machine Man's new hangar at KTAN. Really nice digs!!! Rumor has it the guys across the the ramp has a JACUZZI in his! They say you shouldn't knock on the door if you can hear the music playing from inside the hangar or you might get an eyeful!

:D

This leaves My spare hangar empty for the time being, ALL!!! If anyone wants to rent a nice little hangar at KPYM, let me know! Good prices and good company!

Also, nightly visits are welcome too!

;) CJ

Last edited:
I am at 44N Sky Acres now, the place is packed!!! Those who has to go to work afternoon please plan accordingly :D

What?

Vlad!

Go got to give me a heads up!

Next time you venture up toward POU let me know.

Of couse, I will NOT be eating as much as you do!!! By all those food pictures you post my diet can't handle that nor can my airplane W&B!

Enjoy Dutchess County, glad the restrurant was open this time.

Next time you venture up toward POU let me know.

Will do John. First time I came couple months ago The Perfect Landing Cafe was closed.

e46f7515.jpg

This time I waited for 18 minutes to be seated.

7051e282.jpg

A flock of hungry Bonanza pilots landed just couple minutes before me :D I should have skipped that East River Appendix.

b020445e.jpg

Last edited:
KGFL Glens Falls

Carol's Airport Cafe. Good place with great soup! How to get there from deep South? First ask for blessing from the Lady. Wing dip is enough she will talk to weather gods up North.

g1.jpg

Then head North. Leave the Mordor mountains to your left at a distance.

g3.jpg

Hop over the White Steppes.

g2.jpg

After this agricultural field straight ahead for 40 miles. Make sure you spot a crop duster or two.

g4.jpg

Then you will see your destination. You won't be able to fly VFR farther there are no restaurants anyway...

g5.jpg

Park and go inside. Little cafe is like a museum. Lot's of historic photographs and souvenirs.

g6.jpg

Don't believe what sign says the lady is very nice. Her husband put the poster here.

g7.jpg

This is what I came for.

g8.jpg

On your way back in case if weather gods are awake just track the river. I heard CG did that.

DSC_0066.jpg

I've been to Glens Falls many times. Used to be a regular stop when I was flying for a living. Nice folks at the airport, the cafe is good, and there is a very cool guitar shop downtown.:cool:

I have fond memories of watching my co-pilot balance a step ladder on top of the jet fuel truck, and then climb up to the top of the step ladder with the de-icing wand and proceed to de-ice the top of the horizontal stab. It definitely was not an OSHA approved operation!:eek:

Last edited:
KFRG restaurant is closing

The word is out 56th Fighter Group Restaurant ceases the operation by end of August 2012. It was very good restaurant with exceptional menu. :(

56th.jpg

1B1 Columbia County

Hudson, NY. Long runway, clean crew car, pleasant lady at the counter. Restaurant two minutes away. Take an autopilot with you :D

columbia1.jpg

columbia2.jpg

columbia3.jpg

columbia4.jpg

columbia5.jpg

Fulton County NY0

Nice airport in Upstate NY. Johnstown NY0.

Some fun places nearby to see from the air.

Bring your appetite. There is a family owned and operated bakery on the field called "Grandma Millie". They will tell you the stories.

Back