What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stainless Tie down rings

timandmeli

Well Known Member
Hi all,
I wanted everyone to know about a find I found on Ebay. A seller has forged stainless steel 3/8 in tiedown rings. They are made of 316 stainless and have standard threads for our planes. Cost is like $4.50 each with very reasonable shipping. My total for three was like $15.30. These tiedown rings have shoulders just like you order from avery or Vans. Search Ebay for stainless eyebolts with shoulder 3/8. Tim

Thank you for that, after adding "316 SS" to the search the cheap eyes popped right up. Used my quarterly eBay bucks, so mine were free!

Cheap eyebolts for free

Well you can't get much better than free. And while we are on the ebay subject.... I scored replacement batteries for my Dewalt cordless. A guy who goes by IMAX_Expert has replacement batteries for around $20.00. And free shipping. priced them at Lowes lately. $50.00. Tim

Hi all,
I wanted everyone to know about a find I found on Ebay. A seller has forged stainless steel 3/8 in tiedown rings. They are made of 316 stainless and have standard threads for our planes. Cost is like $4.50 each with very reasonable shipping. My total for three was like $15.30. These tiedown rings have shoulders just like you order from avery or Vans. Search Ebay for stainless eyebolts with shoulder 3/8. Tim

Could you list the auction number please?
Thanks
RHill

eyebolt..... that did it!!!! And silly me, thinking it was a tie down ring.
Thanks for the quick reply. Got three on order....

"Stainless Steel Shoulder Lifting Eye Bolt 3/8" will get you a good list. These are pretty common parts, as you might imagine.

I found stainless tie down rings at my local Lowes.

My RV-6 came with a pair of these. The builder had dipped the rings in that yellow rubber stuff that you dip tool handles with and they turned out great. I also bought a set of the beautifully machined stainless tie down rings from Cleveland but the holes in those are so small that I find myself using the original rings almost exclusively.

Crazy Shipping Cost!

I started to order 3 of these stainless steel eyebolts - until I saw the shipping cost to Canada. $36 to ship a 1 lb package worth $13.15. That's way too expensive!

I must be missing something here - 316 is not as strong as a high grade steel, it is more brittle, and is further away from aluminum on the galvanic table. Why dose everyone want these?

I must be missing something here - 316 is not as strong as a high grade steel, it is more brittle, and is further away from aluminum on the galvanic table. Why dose everyone want these?

Exactly! Perhaps because when you bend down to look under the low RV wings, the tie down rings look cool?

Shipping to Canada

Lars

''I started to order 3 of these stainless steel eyebolts - until I saw the shipping cost to Canada. $36 to ship a 1 lb package worth $13.15. That's way too expensive!''
------------------------------
Same here, I backed out pretty quick...and we're only next door...

Unbelievable..:eek:

Bruno

Are the standard tie down rings from Vans really high grade steel? Mine look like cast iron which I painted to match the wing.

Are the standard tie down rings from Vans really high grade steel? Mine look like cast iron which I painted to match the wing.

I took mine to a local bolt and nut emporium and asked if they had some stainless replacements. The guy looked at mine and said "these are very high quality steel, are you sure you want to replace them with stainless?" I told him what they were used for and he suggested that I not replace with stainless.

$.02 worth

So the 316SS one from the unicorn website is listed with a work load limit of 1000lbs (and won't break until it sees a much higher load). We'll be alright with the stainless. :)

Holger

I bought a pair of the Unicorn Stainless eye bolts (P/N S0316-0010) for my RV-3. During Oshkosh last week a fellow named Ken Wilson with a MO area code called me to find out where I got them and I couldn't remember. So some historical research yielded the Unicorn brand. And I couldn't get an answer on his phone so hopefully he reads it here.

Jim Ivey

Tie down rings

I found a pair online made out of solid titanium. Used a rubber washer to keep scratches off the skin paint. I left them the original color and seldom remove them.

Any pointers as to where you sourced the titanium tiedown rings? My ride is a little on the pudgy side, so shaving a few grams here may work.
Tom.

Back