What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Close-quarters rivet puller from Avery

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
I wanted to share some success I've had with a small inexpensive tool from Avery.

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5012

Here's the link. Like many other builders I had trouble setting the solid AN470 rivets that hold the leading edge to the spar. After a search on the VAF I found a Vans approved method of using pull rivets ( LP4-3,4) to attach the ribs to the spar. You have to grind the face of a cheap rivet puller to get close enough to the rib. Even then when you try to pull the rivet your still at an angle. This little tool from Avery's allows you to bend the stem of the rivet and still set it with the base of the rivet flush with the spar. I was able to pull all of the rivets in about 20 minutes and they are flush to the surface. I shared my success with Bob Avery and the tool is originally designed for the RV12. A slight mod to bring the hole closer to the edge is needed for the 7, 8, 9. He said he would be willing to gen up some with a closer hole to the edge for those builders.

Worth a look see IMHO. Sorry no pics. I haven't figured out how to post from my iPhone yet. :rolleyes:

Is this how it works?

So you insert the pulled rivet in the intended hole, bend the stem 10 degrees away from the obstructing parts, insert the Avery 10 degree tool, get your rivet pulling tool in there, and pull?

The Avery tool keeps the pulled rivet flat against the surface and allows the pull tool to work at an angle?

Bob all of that is absolutely correct, and works like a charm. I had to grind a small amount off the tip of the tool due to the hole being too far away from the rib web. Bob Avery said he can make a batch for the 7 that don't need to be modified. Pictures to follow.

One small correction. I inserted the stem of the rivet into the tool, bent it 10 deg or so, then inserted the shank into the hole and inserted the hand rivet gun on the stem. I then hold pressure on the little tool and pop the rivet. Pretty easy to keep the rivet flange even with the spar web this way.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I have the tool and recently used it to rivet the GPS bracket made for the RV-12 onto the firewall of my 9A. I wasn't smart enough to bend the stem but I got it on. I will round off the front of my tool for better clearance after reading this post.

Back