What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Check your section 3 tools section

propsync

Well Known Member
Hi Group,

Vans was kind enough to email me pdf sections of the manual last week prior to my wings arriving so I could get a jump start on getting the shop and tools together.

I forwarded this document "RV-14 Section 3.pdf" to a reader who had asked to see it. He believes the entire document may be in error and mistakenly copied from the RV12.

I was wondering what your hard copies said, if they were in fact different or the same as this pdf.

I have uploaded this doc to my server, you can access it here.
http://www.avulant.com/RV-14-Section-3.pdf

Here is what the reader (Gary) had to say.

"Tom,

If you go to the Vans web site (recommended tools page), http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/tools.htm and click on the link for ?Recommended Tools for the RV-12?, it appears to be the same section 3 for the RV-14 that you forwarded to me. It seems that all Vans did was change all the references of RV-12 to RV-14. The problem is the recommended tools for the RV-14 should be the same as all the other RV?s (with the exception of the 12). As you can see from the same web page, they have the recommended tools for the RV-14 in the same category as the 3 thru 10, as it should be. Bottom line, I think they messed up when creating a ?new? section 3 for the RV-14 by using the RV-12 section 3 as their template. They should have used one of the other RV?s that has a compatible list of recommended tools.

For example, in the section 3 for the RV-14 you forwarded, there?s a reference to a special pop rivet puller (PRP-26A) used in the RV-12, no mention of a rivet gun or bucking bars.

I?m surprised none of the current RV-14 builders caught this, but then maybe they used the list on the Vans web site and not this section 3 when ordering their tools. I was going to check with Vans support but maybe it would be better for you to do so since they forwarded the plans to you and you?ve already ordered the wing kit. I?m waiting to start with the tail section when it comes out (no real good reason for doing so).

Gary"​

Vans response.

"This was a mistake on that tool list being used for the RV-14 in section 3, If you look on the web sight you will see that the tool list is " Recommended Tools for the RV-3,4,7,8,9,10, 14 ".

Back