What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 fuel caps on a RV-7A?

byoung

I'm not too happy with the standard fuel caps that came with my -7 wing kit. I can't even open them with my fingers. I'm just starting my tanks now so I'm trying to make a decision on what to do. Van's offers the deluxe fuel caps (locking and plain) and apparently the RV-14 fuel caps can be used in a new installation.

From Van's website - "The T-00007 caps are those used on the RV-14. Made from gray plastic (may be painted) with red anodized aluminum flange. These may also be used on all RVs (except RV-12). The prepunched hole in the tank skin will need to be enlarged slightly. These caps will NOT fit the standard fuel tank flanges supplied in Van's kits so they are really only suitable for use if you are building new tanks."
http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1359747052-64-642&browse=misc&product=delux-cap

I like the look of the red anodized flange! The early RV14 builders say they are easy to open and very light. Is anyone using them on a 7/8/9? Any feedback to help me make my decision?

I'm not too happy with the standard fuel caps that came with my -7 wing kit. I can't even open them with my fingers. I'm just starting my tanks now so I'm trying to make a decision on what to do. Van's offers the deluxe fuel caps (locking and plain) and apparently the RV-14 fuel caps can be used in a new installation.

From Van's website - "The T-00007 caps are those used on the RV-14. Made from gray plastic (may be painted) with red anodized aluminum flange. These may also be used on all RVs (except RV-12). The prepunched hole in the tank skin will need to be enlarged slightly. These caps will NOT fit the standard fuel tank flanges supplied in Van's kits so they are really only suitable for use if you are building new tanks."
http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1359747052-64-642&browse=misc&product=delux-cap

I like the look of the red anodized flange! The early RV14 builders say they are easy to open and very light. Is anyone using them on a 7/8/9? Any feedback to help me make my decision?

They're too new, looks like you have the opportunity to experiment a bit and be the first implementation on a non-14.

I have to disagree that they are too new - this exact type of cap has been in service with several other manufacturers for several years without any service problems.

I would suggest that the Deluxe caps are better - they are made from aluminum with very good construction quality - and are just as easy to open as the RV-14 style caps, although they are slightly more expensive (and do not have red anodized flanges, butyou could get the supplied flanges anodized!).

Pete

Fuel Caps

Bob,

For my RV-7A, I went with the deluxe locking fuel caps that Vans offers. They're really nice! They work easily with your fingers, and they lock, too!

100_4590%20(Small).jpg

100_4718%20(Small).JPG

Here's a link to one of my pages, showing the installation work:

Fuel Cap Installation in Fuel Tank

I'm not sure how the ones for the RV-14 work, but the ones I bought have the flange installed on the inside of the tank, under the skin. If that's true for the RV-14 as well, which I suspect it is, you won't see the anodized red flange anyway since it's inside. :)

Last edited:
Back