What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can the Canopy Skirt be Attached to Canopy with Sikaflex Without Any Canopy Holes?

bacstabber

Well Known Member
Friend
I am starting my attachment of the canopy skirt to the frame and the canopy. I am in the conceptualizing phase, the part where I try to visualize the process and generally tend to over think the process. I usually find out after I get started that thing just tend to become much clearer once you get started.
I have already glued my canopy to the frame with Sikaflex. I have no problems with drilling some holes in the frame itself to hold the skirts in place temporarily but I really don't want to put any holes into the glued canopy. I have seen where some have used a few holes strategically drilled in the canopy to hold the top of the skirt tight during fitting and gluing. If this is what most recommend from their experience, then I would be reluctantly willing to do this also. What I am really interested in knowing is whether pressure needs to be applied to the skirt after gluing. If the fit against the canopy is good with the clecos holding the skirt to the frame, is this all that is needed to get a good contact and bond at the canopy? How is the aft part of the skirts held against the canopy after gluing to get good adhesion without the use of clecos? I was thinking Ziplock bags with sand in them my be enough pressure. Thoughts and comments welcomed.

canopy

I glued mine as well with Sika. You dont need to drill any holes in the side skirt into the plexi!! The hole pattern in the directions is good. I have not attached my side skins yet but plan to maybe run a bead of clear silicone between the skirt and the canopy. Clamp with tape if need be.

Not needed

You do not need to drill any holes thru the plexi for the skirt.

It seems like everyone's skirt fits different, but with mine I Sika'd the skirt to the frame and installed some of the pop rivets called for in the plans (skirt to frame only). With the rivets holding the skirt tight to the frame seemed good at holding tight to the canopy as well. That and a little tape along the canopy skirt seam and all flushed well. Sika is nice in that it can be sanded, so you can come back later and break the outside corner of the skirt to get a smooth ramp.

Last edited:
no holes in the plex for me

I glued my skirt to my canopy with Sikaflex.
I made up a bunch of giant wood c-clamps to be sure I could clamp the skirt to the canopy anywhere it gap'ed too much.

I didn't want to squeeze all of the Sikaflex out of the joint - you are supposed to use a rather thick bond to adjust to thermal expansion differences.

So, I posted a thread here three years ago about how I used 40-lb nylon monofilament as a spacer, superglued to the canopy, to be sure that there was a controlled gap between the canopy and the skirt for the Sikaflex to do its job.

3 years later, 220 hrs, no issues. All good.

Back