What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Master Relay Recommendations Sought

Dean Pichon

Well Known Member
Hi,

I'm making some upgrades to the electrical system in my -4 and am looking for a new master solenoid (40amp, continuous duty). I've looked in the usual places, but haven't found much of a selection. Can any recommend a part? So far, I have found only 1 option in Aircraft Spruce - nothing at either Steinair or Aeroelectric.

Thanks,

Dean
Bolton, MA

Van's sells the standard master relay. You can call them and order directly.

I assume you are running an O-320? The 40A seems quite low, considering it needs to carry the starter load.

Echlin ST-80

The master solenoid in our RV-6 was a Cole-Hersee 24115 (85 amp continuous rating). When it failed, we replaced it with an Echlin ST-80 (80 amp continuous) from NAPA, which has been working fine. Just another possible option to consider.

--Paul

Great leads...

Thanks for all the leads. Very helpful
Van's sells the standard master relay. You can call them and order directly.

I assume you are running an O-320? The 40A seems quite low, considering it needs to carry the starter load.

I'm running an IO-360, but have my system configured such that the starter current does not go thru the master solenoid. I have a dedicated starter solenoid that carries the all the starter current (and nothing else).

Thanks again,

Thanks for all the leads. Very helpful

I'm running an IO-360, but have my system configured such that the starter current does not go thru the master solenoid. I have a dedicated starter solenoid that carries the all the starter current (and nothing else).

Thanks again,

Got it. Normally the starter solenoid is wired in series with the master solenoid so that if the starter solenoid sticks closed you can disengage the starter by turning off the master switch.

Dean, there is a Bosche relay, # 0 332 002 150 you may want to take a look at. Its designed for Fork Lift trucks. It runs up to 400amps for > 1 sec, which is more than we need.

Its very compact. It looks unlikely 'til you read the spec. I was introduced to it by the Aviat Husky community.

Back