What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT GPS-EXT-WAAS upgrade.

Maverick972

Well Known Member
I have the GRT GPS-EXT-WAAS running for my HRx, looking at the new approach capabilities should I upgrade to the GRT fly safe GPS? I would like some opinions.

Additionally if anyone has done this, is it as easy as plug in play?

I am planning on earning my instrument rating in my RV7.

Currently, I have a Garmin 430W as my IFR certified navigator and an iPad in the panel running a stratus 2.

The next step is too add a GRT mini, but that is another thread in regards how to make that talk to everything....

GRT GPS

Hi, I am going through similar thought processes with my GRT HXr. I think that you will find that you need to send the AHARS Unit to GRT to have the GPS unit installed. My AHARS is boxed up ready to be sent! I have found that GRT support is superb.

As far as which GPS to instal, my feeling is to get the best available.

Regards, Brent Owen

Thanks, I have had a good experience with them when I call them.

I need to do more research and look at how everything is installed

Hi, I am going through similar thought processes with my GRT HXr. I think that you will find that you need to send the AHARS Unit to GRT to have the GPS unit installed.

The safefly gps unit is external and just connects to a serial port. Why would you need to send in the ahars? I ask because I have the safefly wired to my Sport SX, which I am about to upgrade to HXr.

Chris

For Sean:

I am confused. If you have a 430W and an HXr you can already do every approach. Add the Seattle Avionics approach plates to display on the HXr and you are perfect.
I added the Mini to my dual HX's this summer. The interdisplay link will move the pertinent info to the Mini.

For Sean:

I am confused. If you have a 430W and an HXr you can already do every approach. Add the Seattle Avionics approach plates to display on the HXr and you are perfect.
I added the Mini to my dual HX's this summer. The interdisplay link will move the pertinent info to the Mini.

Thanks Bruce, your not confused I think I am...exactly why I posted this.

That will be a better solution for me so I will research the approach plates.

Nice to know there is a simple way to get the mini working with my GRT components.

Additionally, the safe fly gps is just a serial plug in.

Pretty sure that Safe-fly paired with the Hxr does not give you an IFR legal approach capability. It would give you approach plates etal to do the approaches in VFR, but as stated, if you have the 430, why would you do that?

As mentioned, the mini has GPS in it and when you interlink the two, the GPS backflows to the HXr and you get the redundancy youre looking for....second sourced GPS and a fully capable EFIS, battery backed up yet with a completely different s/w set to rely on......made sense to me, so thats what I did.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that Safe-fly paired with the Hxr does not give you an IFR legal approach capability. It would give you approach plates etal to do the approaches in VFR, but as stated, if you have the 430, why would you do that?

As mentioned, the mini has GPS in it and when you interlink the two, the GPS backflows to the HXr and you get the redundancy youre looking for....second sourced GPS and a fully capable EFIS, battery backed up yet with a completely different s/w set to rely on......made sense to me, so thats what I did.

I think that is the way I am going to go. Yes the Safe flight GPS will not make the HXr approach legal.

One other item maybe someone can clarify for me, I was on the GRT web site nosing around the GPS info.

I have a Trig Transponder paired to the GRT gps ext WAAS for ADSB purposes. According to the info I read it will not be legal to use as the GPS paired to the Trig transponder for ADSB in 2020. So I would have to upgrade anyway...

I have a Trig Transponder paired to the GRT gps ext WAAS for ADSB purposes. According to the info I read it will not be legal to use as the GPS paired to the Trig transponder for ADSB in 2020. So I would have to upgrade anyway...

You can connect your 430W to the Trig to make it legal for ADS-B.

-Dj

You can connect your 430W to the Trig to make it legal for ADS-B.

-Dj

Err check that. Just cause its WAAS, doesnt mean it outputs ADSB+ GPS data - its s/w version depandant and I dont know the 430W persay. For example, on the 480, which was WAAS way back in the '90s before anyone else was, you have to upgrade to s/w 2.4/5.1 to get the ADSB+ output......IOW do some homework before assuming....

The correct software for the 430W came out about 3 years ago. It?s easy to check: go into the 430W?s set up menu, select an RS232 output, and see if ?ADSB+? is an option (you must have the +). If so, you?re good to go.

Back