What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DXF File Import For Front Panel Express

ssokol

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm working on a new panel design for my 6A and was planning on using Front Panel Express to do the cutting. I have the RV-6 panel DXF from Van's website, and the FPE design tool has a DXF import function. However, the import of the DXF from Van's results in errors.

dxfimport.png

I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with CAD - at least with traditional 2D CAD. So... Is there anyone out there with enough CAD savvy to figure out the issues with the import? If so, I would be more than happy to provide them a reasonable quantity of their favorite beverage at OSH, or to give them a discount on a FlightBox or other Open Flight product.

Thanks in advance!

-S

It’s because Van’s files have overlapping lines and gaps between line ends.

Also be aware that Van’s file is before the bottom edge is bent, at least they used to be.

I can fix it tomorrow for you if you can confirm the height of the panel from top to bottom in the middle.

Also, I thought RV-6 panels were custom cut to fit around the radius of the top corners.

Last edited:
Also be aware that Van?s file is before the bottom edge is bent, at least they used to be.

Confirmed; I ran into this on my -7; I suggested to Van's that they should make a note on the drawing to this effect.

I'm working on a new panel design for my 6A and was planning on using Front Panel Express to do the cutting. I have the RV-6 panel DXF from Van's website, and the FPE design tool has a DXF import function. However, the import of the DXF from Van's results in errors.

I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with CAD - at least with traditional 2D CAD. So... Is there anyone out there with enough CAD savvy to figure out the issues with the import? If so, I would be more than happy to provide them a reasonable quantity of their favorite beverage at OSH, or to give them a discount on a FlightBox or other Open Flight product.

Thanks in advance!

-S
Steve,

I can open the file in AutoCAD and the panel as drawn flat is 11.9072" tall and 41.5430 inches wide. This may or may not include the bend area at the bottom as they dont show any hidden or bend lines in the drawing. There are no open boundaries or overlapping lines on the panel itself. The issue you are having is that there are 16 layers in the drawing that need to be stripped out so you can import ONLY the panel outline in Front Panel Express. I'll message you for your email address and I can send you the file with just the panel outline. If you need any other CAD designing let me know, I'd be glad to help.

Shawn

Last edited:
It?s because Van?s files have overlapping lines and gaps between line ends.

Also be aware that Van?s file is before the bottom edge is bent, at least they used to be.

I can fix it tomorrow for you if you can confirm the height of the panel from top to bottom in the middle.

Also, I thought RV-6 panels were custom cut to fit around the radius of the top corners.

The current panel is 11" tall in the center, not including the approximately one inch of metal that is bent back. That bend has something like a 0.25" radius to it. (Best guess by eyeball.)

I was planning on extending the panel down by an additional 2 inches, so the total height would be 13" plus the bend.

Thanks!

-S

Steve,

I realize you are still trying to get the panel to import, but when you get a little further I might be able to share some of the cutouts that I created. I got a couple from Brantel awhile ago, but I created a bunch more. FYI, you need to have a simple CAD tool to create the custom cutouts.

It's been a little while since I worked on my panel. I have a modular layout with Garmin Gx3 touch displays (both landscape sizes).

fixed it for you

Here's the fixed DXF file:

http://311lz.com/docs/rv-6_panel.dxf

I tried it and it loads fine into FrontDesign. Btw those guys are awesome. They made awesome panels for me.
Their software will only let you pick a 3mm anodized panel. Just leave them a note and they can change it manually to .063".

Lenny

Is there anyone who can "fix" Van's DXF file for the RV-7 tip-up panel? I'm just starting to mess around with Front Panel Express and encountering the same "An error occurred. The DXF file could not be imported" error.

RV-7/9 Tip-Up link

EDIT: Disregard. Was able to open it in a free CAD package, scale it by 25.4x (to convert to mm for FPE), re-save it, and now FPE has no problem opening.

Last edited:
Ryan,

I made some custom cutouts for FPE and I got a couple from Brantel a while back. When you get to that point let me know what you need I have both the G3X touch landscape cutouts and a Grand Rapids mini lus others that I made.

Anyone willing to post a front panel express rv-7 tip up panel cad file

Anyone willing to post a front panel express rv-7 tip up panel cad file?

I am working on one, and not being a cad expert and manually copying the drill holes from a cad program that can read the vans file to the front panel express program.
I worked a bit of a silly process and got the out shape exported but am manually hand jamming in the drill holes and other things.

Just wondered if there was a fast fwd button and someone might have an old one hanging around.

Thanks

I have not tried the FPE tool, but I found the the LibreCAD pretty easy to use and plenty of Youtube videos if you get stuck.

It works directly with the DXF format so no need to convert. I also got the cut-outs for most of the avionics (also in DXF) so it was a breeze to play around with the layout.

I printed 1:1 at Fedex, stuck it to the stock panel to check how the layout worked for me.

I just sent it to SteinAir who will cut, paint and label it for me.

Back