What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beginner builder

Girraf

Well Known Member
Friend
We did it.....we made the choice to begin this great endeavor to build an airplane. The girl and I are both pilots and really enjoy working on airplanes. What better idea that to build one?! Besides, I sit at a desk all day so working with my hands and creating/building is how I relax. It also happens that I've got the next 18 months of bachelor living to begin this journey while the she is off learning to fly Helicopters in the Army. She however will be put to work upon her return as there will be plenty of rivets left for her to set before this project is all finished. :D For now, I've begun to collect the critical tools to try my hand on the Vans practice control surface. That's mostly hand tools and a rivet gun. I plan to equip with the DRDT-2 right off the bat, and pick up a pneumatic squeezer for when I commence on the actual aircraft parts. After I feel comfortable with that I'll go ahead and put my order in for the empennage kit. RV-7 is what we have our sights on.

I've been lurking this forum for several months trying to help me decide which path to take. I'm pleased to say I'm looking forward to joining the RV community from the builders perspective.

Wish us luck!

Congrats

Congrats on your decision to get started
this has been far more rewarding than i had anticipated. im not flying the RV yet. FWF in process. Im almost afraid to be finished and not have this project and the forum interaction in my every day

enjoy the process.

Congrats! I hope you both find it as rewarding an experience as I have. This community is fantastic.

dave

Welcome to the builders fold! You did not say if you were going std or fast build. I have a quick build and have only used my DRDT-2 maybe twice. I have used my pneumatic squeezer so much I have 3 of them.

Just to give the other side of the coin, I had a DRDT-2 and a pneumatic squeezer on loan to me for the duration my standard build RV-7. I used the DRDT-2 more times than I could possibly remember, but hardly ever used the pneumatic squeezer. Even for dimpling small parts it was great to have the DRDT-2 set up permanently with #40 dimple dies, then grab your manual squeezer to set the rivets. Regarding the pneumatic squeezer I just couldn't get the feel/modulation that I could with the manual Avery squeezer, and the pneumatic squeezer I had takes a lot longer to adjust (you had to shim the dies whereas the Avery squeezer allows you to quickly screw the ram in and out). Whatever you do don't skimp on a squeezer, and preferably get one you can easily get yokes for.
Tom.

Or...

Or you can get an adjustable set for the squeezer. Much, much faster than shims. I used my fret for about everything and the pneumatic squeezer everywhere I could. I bought a used one offered on this board...an Avery with three yikes. Works great and very easy to modulate after a bit of practice. I use a hand squeezer as well but not nearly as often.

Congrats on the great decision! I started building without a pneumatic squeezer and shortly bought one while working on the empennage, I cannot imagine building without one now. I love that thing.

For now, I've begun to collect the critical tools ...

Welcome to the zaniness!

You didn't mention, and shockingly no one else has, a tungsten bucking bar. I started without one, but can't imagine not having it now.

Welcome to the zaniness!

You didn't mention, and shockingly no one else has, a tungsten bucking bar. I started without one, but can't imagine not having it now.

Absolutely correct, I got mine off of Ebay by a guy that built an RV. It was 99 bucks, quite a bit cheaper than the tool places.

Welcome aboard. I LOVE my 7! Please tell me you mean "7" and not "7A." Half the fun of flying is takeoffs and landings with the little wheel in back.

I don't know where Great Mills MD is but come to VKX and lets go flying.

Robert

Last edited:
What a welcome reception! Thank you so much for the encouragement and enthusiasm. I've had my first tools show up at home last night and had fun inspecting my bounty. First time I've help a rivet gun in fact.

I did make a point to purchase a tungsten bucking bar up front. Got a new 1x4x5/8" from amazon for about $110. The larger opinion is that these are quite useful. I also got a more standard footed bucking bar because I heard those do have their place form time to time.

We're building a 7. Were both TW endorsed, but certainly not proficient anymore. Looking forward to making a long weekend together to complete our transition training when the time is right.

I'm planning on a standard kit build, but I like the luxury of not having to decide immediately. We'll see how the empennage goes but I expect it will be traditional the whole way.

Welcome aboard! I finished my -7A last January and have 170+ hours now. Love the plane and its handling.

Ignore the nose gear haters :D

Back