What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTX328 and ADS-B

paul330

Well Known Member
The GTX328 is a 327 but with Mode S so it has all the aircraft data programmed which it transmits to ground stations. It can’t, however, do ADS-B out. Is it compatible with the GDL82 or is its internal data going to conflict with the data loaded into the GDL? Or would I need to wipe its internal data (basically turning it back into a Mode C) and let the GDL do all the data side of things?

It should have no problem interfacing with the GDL82. Everything the transponder sends out still gets sent out. The GDL82 is a different frequency band anyway, and they will just get 2 forms of your N-number, but that is not a problem.

With one caveat:

UAT Systems With Mode S Transponders.
Do not install a UAT ADS-B OUT system with the capability to transmit a random 24-bit address in an aircraft that also has a Mode S transponder unless the random 24-bit feature is disabled. The ATC automation system would interpret the different 24-bit addresses as two separate aircraft, and alert controllers to a conflict that does not actually exist.

it does

When you put an UAT in the anonymous mode, it does not send out an accurate airplane ID, hence it is anonymous. So the airplane owner would need to know that fact, and never put the UAT in that mode.

On the GDL82 if I recall the installation correctly you would just not wire up the anonymous switch. I think the GDL 8X configuration software also allows you to make the mode inactive.
Figs

The GTX328 is a 327 but with Mode S so it has all the aircraft data programmed which it transmits to ground stations. It can?t, however, do ADS-B out. Is it compatible with the GDL82 or is its internal data going to conflict with the data loaded into the GDL? Or would I need to wipe its internal data (basically turning it back into a Mode C) and let the GDL do all the data side of things?

Hello Paul,

The GDL 82 System Limitations listed on page 1-5 of the Rev. 04 installation manual indicates that "The GDL 82 should not be installed with a Mode S transponder.".

Not being very familiar with the GTX 328, I asked the GDL 82 Engineers if the GDL 82 Mode S installation limitation applied to the GTX 328, and they said it did.

Thanks,
Steve

Well, that's "disappointing"........

So there is an add-on for Mode A/C but if you have a Mode S you are SOL.....

Looks like plan B - buy a Dynon XPNDR and GPS2020. Or hope that South Africa doesn't go ahead with the ADS-B mandate.

Back