What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adjust Max RPM

istrumit

Well Known Member
Hey all. My -10 seems to have a linkage or governor setting that limits to RPM to about 2610.

Max rated HP on the engine is at 2700. Not that I am worried that 100 RPM is going to make much difference. But, I would like to just have the spec set correctly.

Problem is I can't seem to find a clear guide on how to adjust the max RPM.

I don't know if its linkage or governor or which.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Assuming 2610rpm is in flight, on installation your prop control knob should stop about a 1/4 inch from the nut fixing the cable to the instrument panel insuring the governor control lever is actually doing the stopping. If you do not have that 1/4 or so, you will need to adjust the cable and hardware attaching it to the governor control lever. Next there is a screw limiting the governor control lever. That limits the max speed. Safety wire, jam nut, tiny hands, back it out half a turn. Try it out. Repeat until satisfied.
Seems like the CD with plans available from Van's has a pretty good description of this.

If your static RPM is 2610 at sea level, that's about right. That will be the max set by the fine pitch stop on the prop. As you accelerate, the RPM will increase with the airflow and the governor should pick it up and limit to 2700. If it needs adjustment, the high RPM stop screw needs screwing out 25rpm for a full turn (on the MT governor at least).

Another point is that your max should NOT be limited by the cable. There should be 1/4 to 1/2" gap at the panel with the control fully forward.

Back