What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy water leak

bmarvel

Well Known Member
Friend
One of the very few problems I have had with the -14A is water dripping through the seal on the forward edge of the canopy. Having owned an -8A previously for some 15 years, I never experienced this because of its slider. This leak issue may also be a problem with other tip up models.

In my airplane the leak "appears" to be from the area of the two hinge covers. But as you know, water leaks in roofs and automobile rattles can originate from locations different from where they finally show up.

This could be avoided with a canopy cover but I don't use an external one to prevent plexi scratching. I made up an internal cover instead. The airplane is normally in a hangar so the problem does not occur frequently. But to avoid it on overnight trips when rain is expected, I cover that long joint line and the hinge covers with white electrical tape. This isn't elegant but it works and the tape comes off easily with no residue.

Am curious if any of you with flying airplanes have addressed this with possibly a different seal configuration.

Flight testing was done on the prototypes to evaluate and prove that the canopy will seal out water, but the seals have to be installed (and the area they are install, prepe'ed properly) exactly as specified in the construction manual.

Did all that Scott, but still have the leak problem.

Getting the tank sealant bevel "in plane" across the joint was difficult and maybe not good enough in my situation. I used the called out sealant on the hinge covers and installed them per the plans and yet still don't know the source of the leaks (one appears on each side). But at least it's a problem with an easy work around for me.

Since this kit and airplane have been just about perfect, I wanted to point this problem out to other builders just as I did recently with the plastic versus aluminum eyeball vents.

Thanks for the quick response. Will see you at OSH if you're there.

Did all that Scott, but still have the leak problem.

Getting the tank sealant bevel "in plane" across the joint was difficult and maybe not good enough in my situation. I used the called out sealant on the hinge covers and installed them per the plans and yet still don't know the source of the leaks (one appears on each side). But at least it's a problem with an easy work around for me.

Since this kit and airplane have been just about perfect, I wanted to point this problem out to other builders just as I did recently with the plastic versus aluminum eyeball vents.

Thanks for the quick response. Will see you at OSH if you're there.

Did you use polyester filler (bondo) to fill the areas specified?

Scott: Are you saying that there is language in the documents stating that there is a process for sealing particular areas in the canopy installation?

Please forgive me but, in my first generation -7 docs (that I'm currently using in hopes of finishing someday) I can't find any info about installing any sealant/bondo or even any bulb seal.

Although I'm not building a -14 I do get the sense the the assembly instructions for all models have been improved dramatically. Is there somewhere I can review the current assembly instructions for tip up canopies and/or the -7 in general?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Scott: Are you saying that there is language in the documents stating that there is a process for sealing particular areas in the canopy installation?

Please forgive me but, in my first generation -7 docs (that I'm currently using in hopes of finishing someday) I can't find any info about installing any sealant/bondo or even any bulb seal.

Although I'm not building a -14 I do get the sense the the assembly instructions for all models have been improved dramatically. Is there somewhere I can review the current assembly instructions for tip up canopies and/or the -7 in general?

Thanks,

The canopy design on the RV-14 is quite different from the one on the RV-7. My comment was regarding the RV-14 canopy and plans.

The 7 is more challenging than the 14, a different design.

Thanks,
Instructions and design are vastly improved for the later models.

For the 7 - - The seal is more like a teardrop shape, is very low contact pressure and not much compression. This means the perimeter gap must be correct and even. No such instructions for the 7 like the 14. The manufacturer says the adhesive life is limited and it even has a born-on date. Be sure you look at that and install soon after procurement, or be prepared to buy it again. Vans is the best source. I tried alternatives to this vans-recommended-supplied seal and the perimeter forces to compress didn't allow the canopy latch work properly (not to my satisfaction). There are many cracks and gaps to be filled, but the Vans seal will fit. I have not tested it yet, but plan a vacuum on blow attached to the vents, then will spray soapy water on the perimeter. My Phase I is complete now and the detailing begins.

No luck

Subsequent to Scott's reply I elected to redo the D seal and hinge cover seals during my January annual. I flew the plane to Oklahoma City last weekend and left it outside Saturday night when it rained pretty hard. To be on the safe side I folded two towels into about four layers and placed one on each floor in the approximate area of the hinge covers. Both were soaked in the morning.

Because I followed the install instructions explicitly both times, I'm not inclined to do all this again because I have no idea what I would do differently. The problem is not in flight -- rain doesn't come in then. It is only on the ground when the airplane is parked. I don't use canopy covers because they scratch the canopy but may have to opt to just tape over the problem areas if rain is forecast.

At this point I am wondering if any other -14 owners have left their airplanes out in the rain overnight without a canopy cover and either had leaks or did not.

I personally did a lot of flight testing through heavy rain and hose testing on the ground while the seals were being designed and checked.

If the hinge covers are leaking it is like not related to the D seal.

There is some details regarding finishing the pocket area that the hinges are located in, to make the seal system work in that area.

One in particular is the use of a small amount of polyester filler (bondo) to fill a void that is on each side of the hinge pocket. This is detailed in the plans and is very important. Then the foam seals that attach to the hinge covers must be sized correctly so they protrude beyond the aft sides of the hinge covers and press against the flat area that was filled with the filler. Lastly is the proper use of the non-hardening sealant that gets applied to the perimeter of the hinge covers and the hinge cover foam seal.

With a seal system like what is specified in the plans, both of the prototypes have sat outside and flown through heavy rain with no water intrusion.

I have done a hose testing and have not had a leak but have not flown in the rain to see if it leaks. Based on my past experience with the RV7A, the rain has more force and more of a chance to leak than a garden hose.
My installation is based on the instructions and I am using a non-hardening seal for the hinge area.

One in particular is the use of a small amount of polyester filler (bondo) to fill a void that is on each side of the hinge pocket. This is detailed in the plans and is very important. Then the foam seals that attach to the hinge covers must be sized correctly so they protrude beyond the aft sides of the hinge covers and press against the flat area that was filled with the filler. Lastly is the proper use of the non-hardening sealant that gets applied to the perimeter of the hinge covers and the hinge cover foam seal.

This is apparently the key area and I checked all the boxes you mentioned. I used bondo in the places indicated and have the protruding foam seals. I also used the non hardening sealant called out in all the areas mentioned. It may be that I need to make the protruding seals longer than stated in the plans but I cut them to the high side of the size range already. One problem with trouble shooting is that you can't see the source of any leak from below due to the canopy structure when the canopy is shut. All I can tell while laying on my back and looking straight above at the hinge area is that water is dripping through.

Even if I don't solve this particular problem, I have to tell you it is a great airplane that delivers on every count.

Water leak ...

I personally did a lot of flight testing through heavy rain and hose testing on the ground while the seals were being designed and checked.

If the hinge covers are leaking it is like not related to the D seal.

There is some details regarding finishing the pocket area that the hinges are located in, to make the seal system work in that area.

With a seal system like what is specified in the plans, both of the prototypes have sat outside and flown through heavy rain with no water intrusion.

Thanks Scott,
I'll redo a check of this area. During a flight under rain last week-end, I could see some water's drops falling on the floor, or rather on my wife's feet.;)

Back