What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Scuffing hinge brackets

JHartline

Well Known Member
In the tailcone plans, on page 08-02 (and other places) the instructions say to scuff the powder-coated hinge brackets if they will be painted later. This brought to mind a couple of questions:

1. Once the tail surfaces are closed up can you see them?
2. Would it make sense to just scuff and prime the mating surfaces and do the rest later as part of the overall preparations for painting?

I really don't want to scuff up that nice powder coat unless it serves a good purpose. I'm going to go look at some other RV's and see how it looks but was curious what other -14 builders are doing.

The good purpose it serves to to help the primer and paint stick.

They are somewhat visible when completed.

You can do it later after assembly but it is more difficult. Particularly on the surfaces in the gap between the two parts.

Thanks. I guess things like this would be easier if I had a color scheme picked out. For all I know they'll end up white...again. :)

Thanks. I guess things like this would be easier if I had a color scheme picked out. For all I know they'll end up white...again. :)

It really wouldn't matter.
Because of the time (cost) involved, it would not make sense to spend time masking off a bunch of little parts before painting, even if the color was an exact match.

Keep in mind that if you do scuff the parts, they will still be coated. all you are doing is removing the gloss finish (which paint wont stick too very well).

Last edited:
Back