What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wheel pants

stamper

Well Known Member
okay I have a stupid question.
I am doing the wheel pants right now. The plans call for putting the wheel pants on with the weight of the aircraft on the tires and orientating the pants so it is in line with the center of the tire.
This makes the wheel pant a little on a angle which I understand, but what I understand is that by doing this when the plan is in flight that angle that the wheel pant is in will be increased when the weight of the plan is off the landing gear.
It seems to me that it would be more aerodynamic if the back of the main gear wheel pants where straight up and down and not at an angle.
I am sure that the way they have it listed in the plans is correct and it has worked perfect for many many years but was just wondering if someone out there could explain the aerodynamics of this because when I hold that wheel pant put together in my hands and then rotate it to what it would look like when in flight it just doesn't seem that it is the best aerodynamically.

You eventually will jack the airplane up in order to get the fore-aft alignment correct (page 4, step 5). You are asking though about the "twist". The wheel pants are nearly circular in cross section, but the simple answer is that no, the radial orientation has no effect on drag. Believe it or not, I miss that fiberglass work. Serious!

Back