What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shelf Size - What is Largest Part Requiring Storage?

DRMA

Well Known Member
Friend
Another question in getting my build space ready for the arrival of my RV-10 kits. I want to build some shelves along one wall to store the aluminum skins and other larger parts that will come in the RV-10 QB kits. Can someone tell me approximately how long and wide the largest parts are, so that I can size my shelves appropriately?

Thanks to everyone who answered my previous question regarding wing cradles.

Cheers,
Dave M.

I made two 4x8 shelving units that hung from my ceiling above my garage door. Stored parts and completed pieces up there until I put the empennage together. Wouldn't think the QB kits would have many large pieces outside of the cabin top.

QB Kits

Your longest parts will likely be the longerons and stringers. They're used in the empennage kit, wings and fuselage - and if I recall correctly were around 8-9 ft long max. QB wings still need them. Don't forget the QB fuselage includes the cabin top - which is a beast. My approach was to stand things vertically in a corner whenever possible. My cabin top is even vertical at the moment (hopefully not much longer) hugging my tool cart - a perfect fit.

One other thing I did was command a wall in our formal dining room to stand large skins vertically. They aren't visible and won't get damaged in there because no one ever eats in the formal dining room! If they have to be moved for Thanksgiving then it's a 5 minute job and they'll get moved right back afterwards.

Good luck.

I would suggest you don't store skins on a shelf. What a waste of horizontal space. I stored skins next to a wall protected by a piece of plywood. Pre-bent skins (like the wing leading edge) were put in a corner. Long stock (pushrod tubes, hinge material, and long angle pieces) were too long for shelving and so I suspended them on hooks screwed into the wall. Four hooks will support the longest and yet be spaced enough for shorter stock. I use a Home Depot plastic bucket for all the stock cut too short to put on the wall. All the other smaller parts went well on normal shelving; I just bought the steel/particleboard units as needed. I also bought a couple of restaurant-style wire shelves on wheels. They are handy to put parts/tools on for the task at hand and wheel them in position so that I don't have to walk around the project to the other side where the parts are inevitably stored.

I put small stuff on one of those plastic 5-shelf units you can buy almost anywhere. For the large stuff, I just left it in the crates it came in, but then again I was not pushed for space. I did have the crates on homemade furniture dollies so I could roll them up out of the way in my garage.

Last edited:
skins for my empennage have been laying under the beds in our guest bedroom. finished pieces are on top of the beds :)

Wings and Horizontal stabilizer are the largest parts, besides the fuse. The wings will be in a rolling cradle, not up on shelves. I don't have the dims on the horizontal stab right now, but its about 14' x 2' without the elevators attached.

Back